What is the best way to show authority to our 15 month old daughter in the way that will not only stick in her head but will show her that enough is enough. She seems to ignore authority.

For Example , She turns the TV's off and throws things at us when she don't get her way and runs when she knows she did wrong, Etc.

heavensmom08

Asked by heavensmom08 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im still trying to figure that out..my daughter is now 19 months old and when I try to get on to her she smile and laughs. I have tried time-outs but I don't think she gets it..she sits there yes..but is unfazed by it. So Im there with you!
    busymommyx3

Answer by busymommyx3 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• A stern voice and don't give up no means no and do this means do this even if you need to go hand over hand and make them do it. I have a son with autism and he knows now that I mean what I say so stick with it. Time out too a minute for every year they are.
    Pghpagirl

Answer by Pghpagirl at 5:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My 15 month old son is definitely a handful. I use a loud stern voice and I never back down. If he is touching the TV and he won't stop after I asked him to, I ALWAYS get up and remove him from the area. I hold his hand at his side firmly and tell him NO one more time. Or I will take him to the other side of the room and hand him a book to get his mind on something else. Its really important to follow through. He still has his moments but for the most part I only have to raise my voice and he will stop. Good luck with your DD!
    adeuslove07

Answer by adeuslove07 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• To Train up a Child is a little book that says a whole lot on the subject its cheap and you can find it at nogreaterjoy.org I get it and I try to go by it It really helps whenI do.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 7:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Repeat, repeat, repeat.
    She does not really understand rules. When you way "Don't play with the TV" do you mean all the the buttons, just today, only right now, how about 5 seconds from now?
    When you tell her not to throw things, do you mean only the blocks, how about the stuffed animals, is it OK to throw them later?
    She has to learn all of that. So, repeat, repeat, repeat. Be patient. Remove her from the situation when necessary. Remove the thing when you can't. Redirect her actions (Here, bang on this pot instead of the dog.) And did I mention, be patient? She'll catch on by 18 months. She'll be listening and obeying eventually. Then she'll be a teenager. :)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• while kids this age are stubborn, she wouldnt be doing things like turnign the tv off if she hadnt seen it done with some success elsewhere....try to figure out where she has seen these behaviors before and eliminate that first. i also think a swift smack on the hand for things like the tv and throwing and a pop on the mouth for screaming at you are helpful and dont hurt (not hard of course)...you also need to explain to her why she needs to do or not do things and how her bad behavior effects people... i knw she's young, but empathy needs to start early and can go a long way toward promoting good behavior
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• She's young and learning. When she goes to the tv, get her, say "no" then take her outside or to look at something else, like a book you can read to her.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2008