What do I do about my extremely clingy 5 month old?

5 months old and if she sees me leaving the room she starts to fuss. My husband gets so mad because if he's holding her and she can't see me she gets fussy... She can't even sit on the floor for more than 10 minutes just playing by herself without fussing... I don't know what else to do. I don't know how to get her to NOT be so clingy to me... I know the only reason my hubby gets mad is because he wants her to love him like she loves me... Please help?

my.pride.joy

Asked by my.pride.joy at 5:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow.. that really is just a baby thing. It's something they go thru at that age and he should not get so upset by it. A baby can't help what they feel, so they act on it. You might try letting him hold her while you sit beside her so she knows you aren't far. She is not being clingy.. she is being a baby and that's what they do. Have patience, before too long she'll want nothing to do with you and they do get over it before they go to college! LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• let her fuss it ok to let babies cry..it expands there lungs if you dont break her from it it will only be worse later. i agree you should sit beside dad so she can still feel you there.
    TN-FOOR

Answer by TN-FOOR at 5:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• She is just a baby....enjoy it...time flys
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:38 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Babies go through phases. At this age most do prefer Mommy, however, when they get a little older, a lot of time that switches and they enjoy Daddy's company as much, if not more (happened with both of mine). Right now you are her security, and that is perfectly normal. If he stresses too much about it, she will sense it and want even less to do with him. He just needs to enjoy her as much as he can in whatever way she is comfortable with. She'll be Daddy's girl soon enough!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• my so did this.....as he layed in the floor or in daddys arms i played peek a boo with him from behind the wall as time went by i let the minutes go by before i said peek aboo..........sometimes you have to let them fuss for a while before you comfort them.....its hard on you to hear them fuss but they need to learn to self entertain.........
    good luck i know its hard
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 5:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• My daughter did this forever! It bothered my husband too. I felt bad because he is such a good dad. She is 18 months old now and loves her dad. Just the other day we were leaving him and she started shouting "Dad, DAD, DAD, DAD!!!" He had to walk us out and put her in her car seat.

Don't worry. I think it is natural for babies to be a little more attached to their mothers. Especially if you are a SAHM and/or breastfeeding.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• My daughter is like this and she is almoat 2. I dont worry because IT WILL NOT LAST FOREVER..soon she will never need me again
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I work part time. My So stays at homIe with ourLO. She is okay when he leaves the room, but when I leave it is like the end of the world. I just let her fuss. Within a few minutes she calms herself down. I know what you are going through my DD is 6 months in 5 days. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• At five months they still havent figured out that when mommy leaves the room, she still exists..... Games like peek a boo and stuff help teach lo's that! And most babies just prefer mommy, dont worry soon enough it switches!!! But I wouldnt worry that she is clingy she is still little!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• it's completely normal! my dd, who is now 15 months old had a i want only daddy phase early on, now she is on her i want mommy 24/7 phase. it's nothing to worry about, if you're really concerned, encourage daddy time w/o u no matter how much she fusses.

Fanta-Mommy

Answer by Fanta-Mommy at 6:35 PM on Dec. 25, 2008