How to Impliment Rules in Children's Church/ Sunday School?

I have recently taken over as leader of the 2nd-3rd grade (grades going into) children's church class and I am having some discipline issues. The biggest problem is that they haven't had any set rules. I want to start using a set of classroom rules but I am not entirely sure the best way to go about it. Should I just print them out one week and say okay kids here are the rules or should I add them gradually? Also about how many rules would be good for a group of about 30 kids that age?

TaraK.

Asked by TaraK. at 5:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what are basic classroom rules for 2/3 grades at school?
    1. listen-when teacher is talking to the class, be quiet and give attention.
    2. be courteous to each other-share, be friendly, etc.
    3. use your inside voice-no yelling, screaming, or talking out of turn. (raise your hand if you need to speak.)

i can't remember anything else. lol! do you have board space where you can put these (or whatever you come up with) up permanently, clear to read and always in view of the students?
    also, you might want to print something off to give to the parents..if they've never had rules, you might want to get the parents on-board.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• also..30 kids?? you need an assistant! have you thought about asking parents to rotate sundays, just to 'sit in' and help control the monsters..er, children? when i worked in children's ministry, rotation always worked better, because no one wants to be committed to every single sunday..for whatever reason, the least of which is they miss too much of adult-time/services.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• I do have an assistant. I guess I forgot to put that in there. She is a highschool kid though and while her heart is wonderful she hasn't had any experience disciplining children before. I go to the early service so I don't miss church still and can have a weekend off occasionally but they really want to find some stability with their new teachers since switching classes and teachers around every month wasn't really helping the discipline issues.
    TaraK.

Comment by TaraK. (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Next week set aside 5 minutes to create rules as a class. Bring a poster and some bright markers. Get the children involved. Then just be consistent.

You could also implement small rewards for behavior. I know those online party stores have tons of inexpensive religious pencils, stickers, etc...Maybe they have a small treasure chest the kids could pick out of.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 6:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Thanks. I really like those ideas. I will see how they work out next week. It is so much harder to discipline other people's children. Especially if they are not used to having rules at home.
    TaraK.

Comment by TaraK. (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Print up a basic set of rules that can be posted on a wall. At the beginning of every class go over the rules. At our old church we had "bible bucks" that if you followed the rules you got a set amount of bible bucks,and if you broke a rule you had to put one of your bible bucks in a jar.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 6:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• I used to teach school.full time...One of the ages I taught was third grade...
    The idea of kids making their own rules is excellent!!!!!!
    Put them on a huge poster and when one is broken. just say the child's name, point to the poster and say NO 5....:) Go back to your work...
    Five rules are plenty...
    May I pass along some hints as to not have disruptions?
    Thirty kids is a BIG group...
    I am glad you have an assistant...She can circulate around the room and walk up to children who are not behaving and lightly tap them on the shoulder....
    Kids that age love puppets and to do hands on activities...
    Key into their interests when you present your lesson...
    Ask them a question that pertains to your lesson...That will keep them engaged also....I always made it a point to try to draw out the shy ones also..
    They love positive reinforcement...when you see someone behaving as you like., say.."I like the way ______is behaving.
    PRA
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 6:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Pray...Jesus hears our prayers...even as we are teaching and talking!!!!!!!! :)
    Blessings to you!!!!!!
    Smile a lot!!!!! Share the joy of the Lord!!!!!
    Blessings,
    Veronica
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 6:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• 30 is a very big group, especially at that age. I also think having them help set the rules is a good idea, and keep it simple. Also, in a church setting, it could be very helpful to mention to the parents if a certain group of kids is being disruptive.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• I think you could make a chart with some basic rules of respect for others and self, level of noise, etc, and just keep it as simple as you can. Also ask for parental support.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2011