Am I doing the wrong thing?

The way I feel about welfare is: If people need a little help while they are getting back on thier feet, that's one thing, or they have a disabled child or whatever unfortunate circumstances that they are trying to change...
I disagree with women popping out baby after baby while smoking weed bought with welfare money.
With that said, my husband was disabled while in Iraq, his disability pay from the VA isn't covering all expenses. With a 5 month old baby to support now, I just applied for welfare/food stamps.
Both my husband and I have paid taxes since we were about 17, both Army veterans and we both intend to try to get off of assistance asap.
I'm currently going to college and trying to find a part time job, but w/the economy it's tough.
I'd never consider this if I didn't have a child to feed.
I just feel so quilty doing this...please tell me I'm doing the right thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• Needing help for a short time happens. You have to survive and take care of yourself and the baby. I dont see any shame in needing help on the short term. Youre in school and trying to make a better life for yourself in the future. I have been there and needed help myself. Now if you were just living of the govt because you didnt want to work, and were healthy etc and doing it on a long term then yea thats abusing the system. What youre describing seems like a short term need & something out of your hands at the moment.

Answer by gemgem at 7:16 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• first of all you arent wrong. if someone needs help then they should get help. but you cant buy weed with welfare money they dont HAND you some $20s. its different than that.

its not just "with the economy so bad" with other people that have it or have had it in the past, its "hard times" regardless. even if they have another child. thats their business not yours. a person in need is a person in need.
    Anonymous

• You deff are. I've been on it before and its rough kinda bruisesyou ego, but you ego means nothing compared to the life of you child.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 6:39 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• You have to do what is necessary to help support the 3 of you. You aren't doing anyhting that I wouldn't do in your situation. My SO and I both feel that way about government assistance. We won't even apply for wic, because we are in a position that we don't need it. Good luck and try to get rid of the guilt
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

Anonymous

• You paid into the system and now you need help. Don't feel bad, this time will eventually pass. Good luck in college and with your family.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 6:44 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• So....what do you feel guilty about? You are using it for what it's intended correct? I dont get it.
    Anonymous

• why would you feel you are doing the wronge thing? Are you doing drugs? Have 7 baby by 7 differant daddys? Are you sitting at home living off the state becuase your lazy and would rather sleep til noon than get a job? If none of the above applies to you, then you have nothing to feel ashamed about. If you need the help take it! Your kids deserve to eat!
    lilangel3

Answer by lilangel3 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• anon 3:39...what i meant was I disagreed with people who "can work" but choose not to. i disagree with people living off the gov't when they don't need to.
    Anonymous

• I'm with some of the others in wondering where the guilt is coming in...I don't understand about what you have to feel guilty.

You're doing what you need to do to support yourselves, you're trying to improve your situation not sitting on your ass and waiting for the money and foodstamps to come in.
    Anonymous