Why has my 6 year old started having "accidents" again?

My ex and I split up in the fall of 2009, and I thought we had been pretty successful with helping our daughter adapt to the change. She was doing really well, but since about May of this year she has started having accidents (wetting her pants just a bit) during the day. She's not wetting the bed, it only seems to be during the day and I'm not sure if this is a problem with her attention being focused on play and waiting too long to go to the bathroom, or if there's a physical problem, OR if this is some sort of reaction to some tension between her dad and I lately. Anybody have any advice or experience with this? Any suggestions would be a great help!!!

Thanks!
Katie

katiest

Asked by katiest at 9:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you asked her? What did she say?
    It could be incontenance...yes it does happen in young kids but not often. The only other thing that crosses my mind is being molested. I was molested at 8 years old and started wetting my pants. I'm NOT saying that this is what is happening though.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• First rule out a physical problem, them move on to behavioral diagnoses.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2011

• It could be due to any number of things, and yes stress is one of them. The hard part I found out with my 5 1/2 yr old is if you ask them, sometimes they dont know why they are doing it because its subconcious. My daughter had some problems this summer for 1-2 weeks of totally wetting herself but I knew it was because her baby sister was just born and I just wanted it to stop before school started back up. It pretty much went away on its own even tho I didnt get mad but I still talked to her and reminded her that wetting herself is bad and she needs to make it to the potty in time.
    Good luck with your daughter!!
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 1:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• Thanks for the responses! Yes, I have made an appointment with our family doctor to discuss this and make sure that there isn't a physical problem, and if it continues I will seek out a local organization that works with kids and families. Hopefully it all works out soon! :)
    katiest

Comment by katiest (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2011