Help With a 10 year old going on 17

I have 5 kids my oldest is 10 in a half. Shes from a previous mariage and her stepfather (my huby) has raised her since she was 2. She does still see her real father and is very fond of him. My question is how to handle her when she acts out at home. She always has a chip on her shoulder,shes very argumentative, not afraid to get in our faces. Spanking does not work shes almost as big as me, and the only thing that realy gets her atention is grounding her from her dads house, but I don't want to do that. I need help badly, I have taken her to 2 counselors and they both caled her a master manipulator. They don't think she neds any meds. The most recent is shes hiting her brothers and sisters even the 1 year old and 3 year old. All ideas welcomed.

luvmyticos2006

Asked by luvmyticos2006 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think we may have the same kid. :) I agree, do what you have to do and ground her from her dad's. If that is what you have found that works. My kid has nothing in his room except the bare necessities and I seperate him from my 4,3, and 2 yr old children because he gets physical with them and he will be 11 in Oct. I know it may sound mean but he does not get to do a lot or play with neighbors and he is getting a little tired of being by our side every minute of the day.
    jasonia4Cs

Answer by jasonia4Cs at 7:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i say do what u have to do . even if it means grounding her from her fathers house. maybe then she will listen
    pjsmom08

Answer by pjsmom08 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• TRY TALKING TO HER BUT ALSO LISTEN THIS SOUNDS LIKE SHE WANTS ATT AND IF SHES LIKE 17 YOU NEED TO LISTEN.
    THERE IS ALWAYS A REASON FIND OUT WHAT IT IS AND WORK FROM THERE.
    AND YRY TO GET THE REAL DAD TO STAND BY YOU.
    Anonymous