anyone pregnant with their first baby and have cats?

For some reason I am very nervous about how my cats will react toward my baby. They sleep with us everynight and I am scared that they will try to crawl in his bassinet. I am thinking that I will close my door and shut them out, but I don't want to make them think I don't care about them anymore. Of course my son comes first, I was just curious if anyone else is feeling this way also. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• We have an 18 month old and 2 cats who are 5 years old. They sleep with us every night and have since the day we got them. I was worried sick about one of them sleeping with our son before he could push them away himself. My husband and I bought the "Cribtent II". It's a mesh tent of sorts that fits inside of the crib and keeps the kitties out. It has worked wonderfully! The cats can walk across the top of this thing and it will not collapse. It really put my mind at ease. It was $70 at Babies 'R Us. Good luck to you!!
    Evan2007

Answer by Evan2007 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• WELL JUST TEACH THEM NOW TO NOT GET ON THE BASSINETTE, THEY WILL LEARN. THEY HAVE STUFF CALLED REPEL, IT WORTH GREAT. TRY SPRAYING IT AT THE BASE OF THE BASINETTE AWAY FROM THE BEDDING, THE CATS WILL HATE IT AND LEARN TO AVOID IT.
    LOCKING THEM OUT COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS IF YOUR CATS DECIDE TO GET AN ATTITUDE. MINE WOULD. SO JUST TEACH THEM THEIR BOUNDARIES SO THEY KNOW HOW TO CO-EXIST.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 7:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• We had two cats (about 7 mo when my son was born) and a dog (3yo) I kept the kittens in our master bathroom at night... When we had our second son I didn't even care. They tried to get in the bassinet before he was born but we sprayed them with a water gun so they knew not to get in there before he even arrived. Now? I sent my doggie to live with my mom because she got more attention there and she had started nipping at my son. I had to find one of our cats a new home because of an unexpected military move. But the other cat... He herds my children around the house like cattle. Seriously, he pushes them until they go where he wants or until they pet him :) LOL! It's adorable.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 7:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• hey i got cats and my aubnt had them when she was pregnet and the baby is fine

heidicummins03

Answer by heidicummins03 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I have 5 cats, 3 of them are indoor/outdoor, including my two males. At first there was no problem at all. They actually just ignored the baby completely, but around 5 months they started peeing and pooping in his bedroom. We have 4 litter boxes that are cleaned twice a day, and they actually have to walk by one of them to get in his room, so it wasn't a coincidence. Well soon after that they were peeing and pooping on his stuff in his room. Last week (my son is 6 months old) they started finding his stuff in the living room. It's getting worse and worse and now I'm forced to rehome my males. It's breaking my heart.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 8:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Don't let them on your bed in the first place, 

I don't like animals in my bed..no dogs...no cats...to much hair....unhygienic! IMO

BUT..whatever floats your boat,

i would do what you said.....and shut the darn door,!!

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• i had cats when pregnant and all was fine baby was normal. i would try to get a neighborhood kid to clean the kitty box and play with the cats. just to be on the safe side. give them affextion just don't go overboard. and always wash your hands very important.
    BOLSAS

Answer by BOLSAS at 9:01 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I was worried. I didn't have a bassinet though, just a crib. I got a crib tent to keep them out of her crib. It turned out to not be a problem for us - they just weren't interested. But I know that it IS a problem with some cats and the baby ends up scratched or the cat ends up laying on the baby.

BTW: Now that she's a toddler, the crib tent has been a godsend since it keeps her IN the crib. She started trying to climb out at 14 months. If I'd moved her to a bed as so many suggest, she would have stopped napping, bedtime would have become an hours long running battle, and she would be roaming the house at night. With the crib tent, she knows she can't get out and just happily goes to sleep (most nights). If I forget to zip it up, she gets upset and insists that I do. I highly recommend getting one.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I have three cats, and pre-baby was in the same boat as you. I set up his pack n play early so they could explore it. When Harrison came, I put the sheet on it and didn't let them sleep in our room. The first time they heard him cry in the middle of the night, they weren't mad at us anymore. Now they love him :)
    IluvHarry

Answer by IluvHarry at 9:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Ahh yes and I worked for a vet for a while too who said to go ahead and have all the smelly baby stuff out for a while before the baby arrives! Anything that could have a different scent or like the pp mentioned anything that could need exploring :)
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:42 PM on Dec. 25, 2008