Why does it seem like my cat is very thirsty?

I understand that they need fresh water everyday, but she acts like she does not get any. I give her her water and she goes to town, like she ran a marathon...lol

And to top it off the little water that is left she starts to play with the bowl with water and tips it over and spills it. ( ? )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Pets

• They do need water and more if they only get dry food. If she seems excessively thirsty it could show that something isn't right with her, diabetes comes to mind, but chances are she is OK.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Does her pee smell more than usual? Is the increased thirst a new thing or has she always been this way? If it smells or if this is new, you might want to talk to your vet. There are a few things that could cause this.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 8:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• My dog drinks alot of water after he has chewed on a toy.. I think it dries his mouth out.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:18 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Is she a large cat? Or has she been gaining weight? She may be a diabetic.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Drinking water like that is a sign of a UTI
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Is she drinking a lot AND peeing a lot? My old cat (who has now passed) was diagnosed with diabetes after I noticed him drinking a lot and peeing a lot. He was about 10 when he was diagnosed and I had to give him insulin shots twice a day. He lived for 4 years with it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• An increase in water comsumption could be a sign of renal (kidney) problems. Go to your vet!
    p.s. I'm a licensed vet nurse
    Bobbysmommy324

Answer by Bobbysmommy324 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My cats kind of do the same thing...they want to scavenge for their water and always act like they're dying of thirst. They wont touch water in a bowl...they like to "find" it...usually in a sink, in the toilet, in the tub...I have even tried to play their game and "hide" their water bowl but nothing works. Nuts!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2008