Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should my boyfriend do? He has a 11 month old daughter that his ex doesnt let him see ever unless he goes to her house.

My boyfriend has never had his daughter alone. He is a fit parent. They went to court when she was 6 months and that is when the judge told them both to between themselves decide visitation. He pays his child support every week. He has equal rights to his daughter. I am so frustrated about it because he wants to so badly see his daughter.

Answer Question

Asked by saramiller at 8:38 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • He needs to get a lawyer and obtain court documents ordering either shared parenting or visitation rights.

    Until/unless there is something in writing and ordered by the court he can't do much else.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:39 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

  • yeah he has to get A lawyer if she doesn't want to go by the rules. does he go and follow her rules??like his ex rules?

    Answer by apple-bee-13 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

  • I don't know where you live, but most states have set guidelines for parenting time, even for younger children. If he is dissatisfied with the arrangements his baby's mother insists on, he needs to take it back to court.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

  • All states have a minimium visitation expectation. Get a lawyer and get it in writing what he wants otherwise it's mom's rules. No police or court will help. Usually the case will be sent to mediation first but if your boyfriend wants more he will need to prove why and that he is willing long term. He needs proof that he should have the baby more since in most states all the mom has to say is that she is breastfeeding until the child is age 2 and she can't be away from the baby.

    Answer by t3dragonflies at 11:22 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • Get a lawyer.

    Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • If they have 50/50 and hes paying his childsupport (which usually 50/50 means there is no support to be paid?) then it shouldn't be hard for him to take her to court for not letting him have time with his daughter. But I'd watch where you put your foot in this one because seeing that the baby is still a baby her feeling are probably still fresh and you might be part of the reason why. She might be worried you will try to be a mother to her child. So if I were you I'd just keep a little distance till things get going and don't look at it as giving in to her but look at it as giving your b/f what he wants. Maybe offer to go shopping for the day so he can spend some time with his daughter? Maybe the mom could bring her over and sit with them and maybe it'd just work its way up from there?

    Answer by dtetz at 9:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

  • You should be weary of someone who is not with their baby of that age and has moved onto you so fast....Its not your problem to be posting this, you play no involvement, he was big enough to leave this woman, he will work it out on his own......

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.