my two year old dosent talk mush what should i do

he screams when he wants things and gets made when i dont do what he wants

lil_mamma21

Asked by lil_mamma21 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At two years old, a child is expected to have at least fifty words in their vocabulary and to be saying two and three word phrases. Answering simple questions is also generally expected.

Check out this website. It might help. Good luck, my 5 year old has an excellent vocabulary but still slips into gesture/scream mode. You just have to tough it out.

Two Years Old and Talking: Communication Milestones For Early Speech and Langu

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• For starters, absolutely Do NOT respond to screams and grunts. And don't baby talk. Speak to him like you would anyone else and encourage him to speak to you. If you allow him to get by with screaming and pointing, then he's not going to use words to get what he wants. If he throws a fit, too bad. You are the boss Mom, you have to be firm on that one.

As far as helping him develop his vocabulary, I constantly encourage my toddlers with 'Let's use our words'. If you don't already; Converse with him, ask him questions with open ended answers, read to him daily, play children's music and sing along, if he baby talks repeat back the words correctly so he can hear the difference. Get him involved with other children his age, you will be amazed how quickly he'll pick up new words. If you don't see any improvement, speak to your pediatrician.
    MidnightMama911

Answer by MidnightMama911 at 3:34 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Well do you always do what he wants eventually? If you do even some of the time then he knows it. And will continue to do it. Don't be afraid to discipline your child. I see so many many stressed out moms who's kids are completely out of control. These are not bad children, not bad moms but parents who are afraid to discipline their children. Afraid the child wont like them or they will have issues or they feel guilty about it. Be firm, set boundaries, follow through on your punishments, use firm tones of voice, don't let the child win. We have a lot of out of control behavior in our society boundaries start at home. Make him ask for what he wants or don't acknowledge it until he does. Unless there is something medically wrong with him he will use his words if that is only way he can get YOU to work.
    kitty410

Answer by kitty410 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• all children develope at different rates. youre child may just be alittle slower. do not without care or conversation as recommended above that is so wrong maybe ask pediatrician and get a speech therapist but my son wasnt talking much at 2 but now at almost three he wont stop they catch up fast dont worry, and him getting mad when he doesnt get his way thats typical toddler behavior, just work with it.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 4:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I agree with what the others said. If he's screaming and grunting don't respond. ONly respond to him when he's calm. To get him to talk more, try talking to him A LOT. Like, when you're with him explain everything that you're doing...like, ok, I'm gonna change your diaper now. Let me open the wipes....or we're going to go outside now, you see the dog, you see the tree...blah blah blah. The more you talk the more he'll learn. Of course try to keep it fairly simple, but not baby talk.
    If he wants something, try to get him to at least point to it. Then if you know he wants it, say to him loud and clear,oh you want the bear, here you go, here's the bear.
    Also, really limit tv.
    All kids develop at different rates, all you can do is do your best to help him as much as you can. Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My little boy will 3.5 months and he doesnt talk a lot either. He does talk when he wants to. I was concerned too cause I was comparing him to how fast my girls talked when they were that little. I name it to his doctor, but I wouldnt stress if your pediatrician isnt worried.
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 1:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009