my 4 year old dont want to try anything if its not chicken nuggets help?

he wont eat vegys of any othyer meats it drives me crazy that i get him to eat othe foots please help

lil_mamma21

Asked by lil_mamma21 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some fast food places will give you empyty containers if you ask nicely. Fry the child something at home and put it in one, drive somewhere and let him have it as a special gift from Mommy. See what happens and stop going to Mickies from now on!
    Take him to the store and let him pick out a container for his munchies. While doing this ask him what he wants in it, chicken nuggets duh, then say "what else would you like if we can't get that? listen really to his answer.
    KimPepperoni

Answer by KimPepperoni at 10:44 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I had that problem with my youngest son. The doctor told me not to let him eat any chicken nuggets until he agreed to eat other things every day for a week. The doctor said he would not go to long without eating. The doctor was right. It took lots of will-power on my part, but after 1 full day he ate a peanutbutter and jelly sandwitch. It only took 3 days of not really eating much for him to get the point. The doctor has told me several times that if they do not eat for 3 days it is okay, but on the 4th day you should talk to your doctor immediately. Talk to your doctor they may have some more suggestions, but this is what worked for me.
    MamaFlanigan

Answer by MamaFlanigan at 1:13 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Is my child living at your house? LOL. My daughter loves chicken nuggets so we serve one at each meal. Somehow when she knows it's there the other food gets eaten.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 12:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• stop giving him the nuggets, if he is hungry, he will eat what is given. it may take a few days, but if he is truly hungry he will eat what you provide.
    you could try giving other foods cool names. my 3 year old daughter eat brussels sprouts 'cause we call them brains.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The pp is right- he won't starve himself. He'll eat what you put in front of him eventually. You just have to stand your ground. There will be some fits and screaming and all, but you just have to deal with it and he'll learn that he can't always eat chkn nuggets. My dd was like that with hot dogs... she started wanting them all the time. We just said no, and listened to her cry for a bit and then we she was really hungry she'd eat what we were having. She still doesn't like to "try" things, but she will if we don't budge.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think you may be talking about my child! Chicken, chicken, chicken! And it has to be a certain kind...like he won't eat nuggets from McDonalds. And if they look funny, he won't eat them. I try to always put things on his plate that we're eating, in hopes that he will try them. What seems to work a lot is when he's around other kids...he likes to try whatever they're eating. That's how he ate his first hotdog. Healthy, I know! I wish I had a great answer to offer b/c I need it myself! His dr says he'll grow out of it, so we'll see!
    nikinak

Answer by nikinak at 6:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Getting or saving containers from fast food places and many stores sell fast food-ish like (well it is because they sell it to the actually fast food places) packaging. If this were my child I would make home made nuggets, talk about how good 'ol Ronald and crew is now making a new nugget - talk it up..."bring" home Mickey's for dinner and watch as my son gets a good does of nutrition. In your batter for the breading use a puree of some vegetable like sweet potato, beets (which beets when pureed are very sweet but healthy), or cauliflower in with the egg white.  Then bake.  Fries - you can make all kinds of fries.  Including carrot fries.  PM for reciepes if you are interested.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Just make food and have that as your only option. My daughter used to complain when I'd give her my home made pizzas w/veggies on it, but now she eats it because she knows that's all she is gonna get.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2008