potty training

any advice on potty traingin a boy. I have a 3 year old that still does not want to go. he needs to be trained by august to go to school

rhonda719

Asked by rhonda719 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I was teaching my son I went to the dollar tree and bought several packs of toys. I then wrapped each individual toy in festive wrapping paper and put into a bag that I called his "pee-pee and poo-poo bag". Every time he went pee in the potty he got to pick out one toy. Every time he went poo in the potty he got two toys. It was exciting for him to get a mystery prize and took about a month for him to be potty trained.
    Good luck.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 10:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• The only way I got my boys trained was when I had a few days off work. Take off his diaper, put on underwear or leave him bottomless. Stay home all day and sit him on the potty about once an hour, Praise lavishly if he goes in the potty. If he goes on the floor, have him help clean up. Don't scold, but do say something like "oops, that's not what big boys do." Yes, it's a few days of big messes, and you really can't go out, but it worked, no relapses.
    whirlygirl

Answer by whirlygirl at 10:39 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Another thing. I never messed with a baby potty. My boys were both pretty tall, so I got a colorful ring seat to put on the big toilet. I think I also had a step stool. Makes for much less clean up! If he's already three, he should be big enough to do this.
    whirlygirl

Answer by whirlygirl at 10:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• We had worked with our son here or there with the potty but nothing major. But when my son was 2 and a half my husband took a week off with him (due to in home daycare being closed for her vacation so he stayed home with him. We both work and he gets more vacay time than me) and DH told me that by the end of the week that he would have Kayden potty trained......I was like yeah right, good luck with that! lol I came home monday and he told me that Kayden had pee pee'd on the potty 3 times! by tuesday afternoon he was not going in his diper and had it down pat and by the end of the week he was in big boy underwear and he had pooping down pat in 2 weeks after that! I guess it was just a father son thing. dunno.........but happy it worked. Have a very few accidents since. Just a tiny relapse when a little girl was potty training at day care! If you have issues, get hubby to help with boys.
    KaydenJamesmom

Answer by KaydenJamesmom at 12:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2008