I have 4 indoor-only cats at home. I've been living with cats for more than 10 years. My doctor did not screen for Toxoplasmosis in my first trimester. I'm now nearing my third. Should I be worried about having toxoplasmosis?

I've had to change the litter box on occasion when my husband is away on business, but I always use gloves.

carolinegw

Asked by carolinegw at 9:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have cats and occasionally changed the litter box when I was pregnant. I wore gloves too. :) As long as you don't get scratched you should be ok. I'm pretty sure toxoplasmosis is caused by getting the germs in an open cut.
    Anonymous

• No, don't worry about the toxoplasmosis since you already been living with them for 10 years. When I was pregnant with my cat, the dr. said I would have already been exposed and by body has already gotten over it before getting pregnant. You would have to worry if you came in contact with cats while pregnant if you didn't already live with them. I would not change the litter box though. I don't think you are supposed to breath it in. When you are digging through, very fine particles go up in the air.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 10:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• My doctor has been an OB/GYN for 25 years and he said its so rare, that in his 25 years he has only seen one case of it and she was not even pregnant.
    Anonymous

• i can get it by just breathing it in;i wouldn't even touch a litter box;but that's just me i don't like cats.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 11:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• i would ask ....but i also wouldnt worrie,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:40 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I wouldnt worry, my dr said most likely since I have been around cats my entire life I most likely have the antibodies for toxoplasmosis and she didnt see the reason for testing for it.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2008