What can your 2 1/2 year olds do?

I was comparing my 2 1/2 yo daughter (3 in April) to what her siblings could do at this age and I'm thinking she is way ahead of them.
Tonight she was drawing people. Complete with eyes, mouths, arms and legs. She was also coloring in the lines (better then her 6yo sister).
She dresses herself completely (including socks and shoes). She fills her cup up at the fridge. She uses the potty without help and without being reminded (which is way earlier then my other girls and about the same age as my son). She sings along (memorizes) parts of songs which is hilarious to listen to. She has decided she wants to go to preschool in the fall and I bet she is reading by the time she is 4.
Sometimes I forget she is only two.
What can your 2 1/2 year olds do?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 10:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let's see. My kid can sing the alphabet and count to 20. She says please and thank you without being prompted anymore... even 'no thankyou'... She's really into drawing.. She's drawing circles and spirals... it seems like she always has a pen in her hand. Oh, and she knows her shapes and colors...She can somersault. She does the "Do Re Mi" thing although I'm trying to teach her how to match her voice to a note. She knows about 30 songs and knows who Barack Obama is!... I just made a video that has pictures, and flashcards like Mommy and Daddy, and Breakfast, and Sisters, and she can read those words. So now she knows that letters matter. She does NOT know how to distinguish what the letters are.. Only X and W and A and E and Q and O.
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 6:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I think it is wonderful that your daughter can do all of those things. My daughter is about the same age and she does not do all of those things yet. Maybe it is because your daughter has older siblings that she sees doing these things. Either way congrats on having an independent child.

StacyMarie1029

Answer by StacyMarie1029 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• And she does seem rather smart.
    StacyMarie1029

Answer by StacyMarie1029 at 12:23 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Every child develops at different rates---just because her siblings did not do these things at this age does not mean anything. And the other kids around her may do other things faster. She is WAY ahead on the drawing and coloring. My daughter is 2 1/2 and can dress herself, potty by herself and memorizes whole songs and poems (can't sing in tune though - drives me nuts). She can dribble a soccerball all the way down the field....and catch a ball but cannot color inside the lines or draw even a decent shape. I thought she was pretty on schedule (it's been a while since there were little ones) but she's way ahead on some and behind on others. She still uses her binky and HAS to have milk in a bottle.....they will all turn out okay no matter where there are at this point. All we can do is keep challenging them and praising them....
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 12:44 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• See my kids suck at the sports stuff, lol. They are just not athletic at all. Although Nora (my 2yo) has tried to ride her older sister's Razor scooter already so maybe she'll be the one to do sports. I knew this kid that could dribble a basketball and shoot hoops at 3. He was good at every sport he tried. But he couldn't talk. Like he said maybe 20 words at 3 years old.
    I know she isn't all that special with the potty training and dressing herself. That's pretty average. I just think it's neat that she is at that stage and getting it so quick. The coloring and drawing just threw me for a loop, though.
    And I don't compare my kids to play them off of each other. I just find it fascinating that they are so different. I still think she is pretty ahead compared to her siblings at this age.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Oh, and I specifically said to my 8yo that the reason she is doing all this stuff now was probably because she has all of them. She wants to be just like them so she has always tried to do things above her level. Which has always amazed me.
    My 6yo was the youngest for 3 1/2 years and was still very much a baby when my youngest was born. She was still in diapers and all that so this is just so completely different for me.

And I asked the question because I really wanted to see how other kids her age are doing. I don't compare to brag...I compare because I think it is neat to see how different kids are and how they are the same. Thanks for answering nicely, too. :)
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:19 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Let's see...my 2 1/2 yr old can dress herself (shoes and socks also), potty on her own without being reminded, LOVES her new TAG reader and can use that on her own, she's not so good with the drawing/coloring, although she loves to do both. We think she is trying to figure out if she's left or right handed when it comes to the drawing/coloring part. She also sings along with songs (especially anything from Dora and Diego). She also can't wait to go to school next year. That's all she talks about! My 2 yr old can do all the above, except the TAG reader (she loves to read, but not use the reader thing).
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 3:59 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• She can also draw/color way better than her sister. I watch a 2 1/2 yr old little boy that I still have to dress (clothes, shoes, socks, and undies), still have to remind to use the potty, etc. They all just grow and learn at different paces. My 2 1/2 yr old talks like an adult, my 2 yr old talks like a normal 2 yr old. They can learn alot in just a few weeks or it may take them a few months to catch on to something. I'm sure it helps your daughter to have older siblings...toddlers seem to learn and do more with older children around.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 4:00 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I think you have a beautiful, well-advanced child : Continue to nourish and support her!!!
    AmyKristen8971

Answer by AmyKristen8971 at 5:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My middle son just turned three but since around 2 1/2 he has been:
    dressing himself (including shoes, socks, boots, coat, hat)
    drawing people and other recognizable objects
    knows basic shapes: circle, oval, triangle, rectangle, square, heart, star, trapazoid, pentagon, octagon, hexagon
    knows basic colors and how to mix orange and green
    recognizes letters, sounds they make and order
    recognizes numbers and order of numbers up to 20
    spells and writes his name, brother's name and about 7 other words
    sings songs, makes up his own stories and songs

He is not potty trained. He is also suspect for PDD-NOS, has SPD and receives therapy for speech and fine motor skills.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:53 AM on Dec. 26, 2008