Help, any info on croup?

My 11 month old came down with croup 2 days ago and his cough is horrible. He no longer sounds like a barking seal but it sounds sooo painful and is very frequent. We are on night 3. His little throat must hurt so bad from all the coughing and he doesnt want drink anything. I dont feel he is severe enough to call the DR but is this normal with croup? A nasty terrible cough that sound awful and a non stop runny nose

Mama2Jackson

Asked by Mama2Jackson at 10:54 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My baby girl had it when she was his age or smaller. I actually did take her to the E.R. If I remember correctly they gave her something for it. Be careful though because sometimes things seem like something and are something else. Be on the safe side and get him seen. I wish you the best and pray your little one feels better.
    blackdiamond

Answer by blackdiamond at 11:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• If he's not drinking, he should be seen. You don't want him to become dehydrated.

Croup usually lasts 3-5 days and then after there are regular cold symptoms. The cough can take a couple of weeks to get rid of completely. It's a virus...a nasty cold virus...and passes the same way as the common cold.

When the croup cough is accompanied by stridor, most doctors want the kids to be seen and if the stridor is bad enough, often times steroids will be prescribed. (to relieve the inflammation of the throat)

I know way more..and have more experience with...croup than I ever wanted to have.....lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:02 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• When my son woke up coughing and wheezing one night, I took him to the ER and they said it was "viral croup". They gave him a breathing treatment, then they told me that it sounds worse than it actually is. They said that what happens in the breathing tubes in their throat are irritated and that is where the sound is coming from and to use a humidifier in his room when he is sleeping.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I agree with the above girl. My son went to the ER last winter for the croup (I'd never had a kid have it before and it scared me to death hearing him sound like that). They said it sounds much worse than it is. If he will take it, I'd give him some Ibuprofen...it will ease whatever pain he's in and help with the inflamation in his throat.

That same son of mine has had it 3 times last winter total, and so far this year, once. None of my other kids have ever had it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Take to the doctor. My 8 yr old had it and he got a liquid steroid and a cough medcine. Don't wait he could turninto pnamoania
    Ianmommy4

Answer by Ianmommy4 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My son gets croup constanty in the winter. Last year it got so bad he was hospitalized for it. I have to use a cool air humidifier constantly. I also proped the head of his bed up.

Stridor is a high pitch whistle sound when breathing. It means the airway way is becoming blocked this is an emergency and you need medical attention.

I always feel that my son won't stop coughing too. I feel so bad for him. I know his throat hurts too. I try to keep cool fluids in him and offer him popcicles and ice. It will pass.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2008