What do you do when your heart aches from empty nest?

Older moms with grown children, who live far away.

nananessa

Asked by nananessa at 5:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Well I certaintly do not have a empty nest!LOL you could come to my house! We have 6 under 9 yrs! LOL However my sister will be 20 in NOV. and I left when I was 18..10 years ago.so she has DOGS! 3 OF THEM This seems to work for her ..she also cleans houses..14 $ per hour..good luck sorry your sad!
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My mom and pop have date nights and are rekindling the love and life they had before we kids came and filled it up. Hanging out with each-other and reconnecting helps them feel better :) Best of luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 7:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i dont know, but please dont call your kids every day! i have been out of the house ince i was 17 (7 years ago) and my sister moved out when she was 18 (3 years ago)...and my mom has been driving me insane ever since! she calls at random times just about everyday to ask how im doing....it's gotten so bad that i jokingly offered to have a baby and give it to her!....but seriously, maybe you could do some volunteer work at a preschool or a shelter...both would let you spend some time with children and you would be helping others
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• READ THE BIBLE MORE! I HAVE A NEW FEELING ABOUT MY GROWN CHILDREN.
    ITS HARD AT FIRST AND NO DOG IS GONNA HELP.HA HA IT MIGHT! THEY LISTEN BETTER.
    Anonymous

• www.family.org has some info.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I disagree CALL YOUR KIDS AS MUCH AS YOU WANT! If it's three times a day! I wish my mom would call me more...
    ajjc775

Answer by ajjc775 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I have been that empty nester. When my youngest left for college I was devastated. He left a Richard Petty NASCAR model on the dresser in his room. I found myself going in there and running it around the dresser. I know sick, sad and horrible. I was in tears for 3 months. THEN..DH and I had a blast. We took off for impromtu weekends. We went on a cruise. We had a ball. A very short 9 months later we were called to p/u our grandkids by CPS. that was 3.5 yrs ago. They have now been fully adopted by us. I love them. I would also give anything to be that Mom rolling that stupid freaking car around a dresser again.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Well,I am getting ready to go there. My youngest is leaving next month for college on the 16th. On the 18th,I will be heading back to work(work in school). I went with her to orientation, and I know she will be well taken care of,but,ohhhhh does it hurt knowing my baby is leaving.My stomach hurts, I can't sleep,etc, but i knew this day would come, but it came too soon for me. Who knows, I will proably sleep in her bed;)
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Try to appreciate the time I spend with my husband more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• This is the time to find out who you really are . . . all our lives we put others needs in front of our own. Do you like to paint, sew, photograph, play w/ animals, talk to people, exercise? Find out what YOU like to do and then do it! There are many volunteer opportunities around look on the internet & local hospitals & shelters. Especially women's shelters w/ kids, they need all the support they can get.

Peace & blessings!
    michelebernice

Answer by michelebernice at 9:39 AM on Jul. 16, 2008