would you be angry? or am i wrong?

hour and a 1/2 down to moms house to do Xmas with them i could not afford much this year but i had gotten a free photo book from shutterfly and made it for my parents for Xmas and Jr made some frames for all of them which he colored or painted on his own, well my parents flipped thorough the 20 page book (which i spent HOURS making) in under 3 minutes, and set it aside said a brief thanks and "we'll look at it more later" well alter came and i found my dad reading other books and he said he'd look at that one ":when he had time" pffttt that book you can buy in any store is more important then this one.. i had to ask my mom 5 times before she sat down and read it.. then my lil bro thre his present from my son on the floor.. i was so hurt and anrgy it eede up in a big arguement and we left

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Relationships

• A gift is a gift. You made it with love and caring, but you have no ability to control how it is received. I wonder if there is not some competition for your parents' attention and if you are feeling that you lost this round. I think maybe your expectations for their appreciation were a little too high. My guess is that when the hubbub is over, they will more fully enjoy and appreciate your efforts. I don't think it was worth letting your Christmas be ruined.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:46 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Some people just aren't in to certain things. If there were other guests there, it would've been rude to sit and take your time going thru it. I can understand that you feel your gift wasn't appreciated enough after your hard work.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• They acted like asses and I would have been angry /hurt too. we were tight on money this yr too and SO's family just kept pushing and pushing-added more and more to our do-to and to-spend lists. Finally we decided to just stay home today-and man are we glad. We napped , made love and ate like pigs all day and I am sorry that the real world will intrude again tomorrow..I would have loved your special book honey and I am sorry they were jerks.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• yeah, i would've been hurt...and next year put a card in the mail, tell them they can come to your house if they want to see you guys b/c hey..you need to start your own traditions with YOUR family.
    Ms.JiggityJones

Answer by Ms.JiggityJones at 12:06 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Jr is a wonderful kid and anything he makes should be treasured! I would be angry too!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 12:43 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Wow, I would be PISSED! I'm making a scrapbook for my stepson and it is taking me FOREVER and if he casually tossed it aside I would be hurt and angry. I'm sorry.
    Karinza

Answer by Karinza at 12:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Sounds like you were being a bit selfish, put yourself in your parents shoes....Their promise to take a closer look later was appropriate. Remember they did not give you a time frame on when they would sit and enjoy your special gift.

If we would learn to take our ego out of any situation and live and enjoy the now....
    Your day would have ended with you appreciating your parents for all the good times and not giving in to parting their company in such a terrible manner.

Its your ego which caused you to respond the way you did, deep down you wanted recognition for the wonderful gift you gave and you did not get it when you demanded it.

Its the Ego, we all struggle with it.

Take some time to appreciate those we love!

Wishing you a mended relationship with your parents, Happy New Year to YOU!

LisaRenee
    Lisa47

Answer by Lisa47 at 2:52 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• we are all guilty of this at one time or another...not taking the extra minute to appericiate something that we should. its not the right or wrong of the moment really- you feel you didnt get the expected attention you needed & they didnt realize for what ever reason they were preoccupied & didnt take notice. you didnt set a very good example in front of your little one it doesnt sound like & because you didnt get the required attention in a positive manner you resulted in a negative...Negative attention is better than none at all, right? So you thru a fit & spoiled the day for every one! Right? So two wrongs make a right in your opinion? HMMM??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I'm sorry. They were very rude and disrespectful towards you and your son.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 8:38 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Are you entitled to be hurt? Sure, you're always entitled to your feelings. Did it help matters to react the way you did? Probably not... now you're upset, your parents are probably upset, and the argument may be remembered longer than the gift you worked so hard to make. Sometimes on a very busy day there is not time to sit down and 'appreciate' all the gifts that are given and in that case I think an offer to look closer later on is appropriate.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:10 AM on Dec. 26, 2008