How do i get my daughters fathers name off her birth certificate? How hard is it to do?

My babys father is not leagaly here and is not even helping out at all with her i have no way to get ahold of him and i want his name taken off the birth certificte

thundersgirl

Asked by thundersgirl at 12:10 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldnt...you can get child support from him. Even if you cant track him down the child support people can.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:12 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• You can't.. Unless you can prove through a DNA test that someone else is the father he's here to stay. If he's not around you can go for a step-parent adoption when the time comes, but other than that he is Dad.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:15 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Unless you can prove he is not the father or signs away his rights, you can't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• He would have to sign a paper giving up any and all right to her, and then there is still a waiting period. Take a deep breath and try not to make a rash decision-you need the certificate for child support.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:19 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• You can't get his name off the birth certificate. I did read what the other ladys was saying and really you don't need a guys name on the birth certificate to get child support...I know because my ex isn't on my kids birth certificates and I still get child support.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:44 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• If he's not there now, chances are he never will with child support. I know he can be court ordered and what not, but still he probably won't . You don't need him anyways. Don't ask him for anything. Don't give him that satifaction. And i'm pretty sure it depends on what state you live in whether or not you can get his name off of it. Probably have to file some type of paperwork proving he's an asshole. Talk to a lawyer or do some research online.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Just forget it. It's very difficult . . . once you meet a man (if you already haven't) that wants to adopt your daughter there are routes you can take in order to abolish his parental rights or maybe he would just sign them over . . . who knows . . . call a lawyer for a free consultation. Many law colleges will do pro bono work (in this case, free representation by a student), while an experienced and licensed lawyer supervises. Good Luck Mama . . a deadbeat dad is a real drag. I can't say a child doesn't need her daddy, but at least she has a Mama like you!! Best WIshes and I hope 2009 proves to be a much happier and more prosperous year!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 26, 2008