I am a mom who has been dating a single dad for 4 months. The other day he told me he had a flood in his house, the reason: When he got into the tub with his 8 year old son it overfilled. Okay I am a liberal and very earthy crunchy, but is a father taking a bath in a small tub with his son a little odd or what?

His son visits weekly and spends every other weekend at his dad's.
The child is developmental/ socially appropriate from what I have been told
He does not have any special needs
The tub is a standard 5 foot tub

I am really freaked out by this.. I breast fed, my friends breast feed their children, my daughter bathed with me until she was 4ish and I felt that there wasn't enough room in the tub (I wear a size 2) for her and I and the mommy daughter baths ended.

What do I say to him?
I'm a nurse for the love of god... am I over reacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hmmm I would be creeped out too. Maybe the dad is clueless and sees nothing wrong with it because it is completely innocent so he isnt putting any more thought into it. I can only hope that is all it is.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:46 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I really do not see anything wrong with it, My daughter and I still take a bath together from time to time and she is 8, it is nothing gross, we are mother and daughter.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• um that kind creeps me out and i dont even know the guy. and no i dont think you are over reacting one bit. Honestly that would almost put me to the point of not wanting to see him any longer cause if he is that creepy (even if innocent like previous poster hopes and i do too) with his son then how creepy will he get with your children????
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 12:54 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I too am a nurse and I see no problems with it. They are father and son. Not father and daughter... it is no big deal.

Some families are not ashamed of the human body. Now I would never take a bath with my step son, no matter what age. That would just be wrong!

My baby girl on the way, I could see taking baths with her for quite some time and I would never hide my body from her. She would probably even take baths with daddy until she is around the age of three or four.

My SO takes baths with his son and he is turning five in a few weeks. There is nothing inappropriate about what they are doing.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:57 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• maybe he doesn't think anything about it, it might be another story though if he had a daughter. just watch and see if anything else you feel might not be right about is said!
    momma2hunter

Answer by momma2hunter at 12:58 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• See if his son were 5 ish I wouldn't really question it, but his will be 9 years old in a few months, that got me a little concerned.... As for nudity, I have no issue with that, but a 5ft tub is not very big and that's way too cramped for me...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Yeah, I would say eight is old enough to bathe by himself. It's probable Daddy just doesn't realize his son is too old to share a bath.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 1:23 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Trust your god given gut instinct! It is there for a reason!

You haven't known this man long, but far longer than any of us! LOL We really can only look at this one incident.

It is creepy to me too! But....Try to look at all of the interactions that you have seen with them together.

It doesn't seem that if he were a pedifile, he would have volunteered this information to you...but stranger things have happened. proceed cautiously!

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:00 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Let me ask you, would you be less freaked out if it were a shower he was taking with his son? I find that bathtub to be a bit too crowded, but I see nothing wrong with a parent showering with their kid at that age. I took showers together with my mom on occassion until I was like 9...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 2:20 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I asked hubby about this cause my hubby does this with are 9 yr old son and are 3 yr old, he just figs that its fast to get things done in 1 shot men like to make it easy and simple not a hassle and so they can get more done just in a lazy way, but my hubby also says that some guys want to make sure the kids know how to really clean there selfs cause some do a half job and still stink at the end of the day or don't want the child to get made fun of cause his half clean job makes him stink still and then his child will have a bad day . so really he is a single father and they take there time and don't really know when togive it up and there kids grow to fast and they don't really understand when its time to let them shower or bath by there selfs so give the man a chance made give him a hit that his son can do it him self now..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Dec. 26, 2008