Do you charge your kids rent?

My 22 year old daughter moved back home this past March after a break up from her fiance'. She goes to college full time and works the other part of the week making approximately $13.00 an hour. She comes and goes and doesn't think she needs to tell us where she's going, who she's going with or when she'll be home. It's irritating to me that I let it get that way. The part that got me started today was a girl friend just came to the door, I've never met her, and my daughter says, it's for me, doesn't invite her in and runs out the door with her. I thought that was rude.

marihand

Asked by marihand at 2:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would make her pay rent, but I wouldn't really expect she tell me her every move.. As far as her age goes, she is an adult.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• It's rude.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• No I dont. My oldest is also 22 and a girl. She has mentioned wanting to move back in but she is married with two kids. Her husband and her are having problems and she knows if it came down to it she can always come home. All of my kids know this. All I ask from them is to help with buying groceries since I am feeding more then I am used to and dont have the money to up my budget them. They have to be working or in college if they want to live here after they turn 18. I also make them save some money so when they do move out they have atleast enough money for a one month buffer on bills.

Answer by gemgem at 2:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• I mean It was rude that your daughter didn't introduce her friend to you.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• She's not a little girl anymore, she shouldn't have to introduce you to her friends.
    As for the coming and going and all the rest, once you charge her rent she has the rights to her room/your house as if she were renting a room somewhere else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• if it bothers u lay down some rules from the sounds of it she makes enough money to live on her own an yes my mother in law when me an hubby had to move back home until we got on our feet charged us 250 a month an plus we had to buy our own food an buy all our esstentials to an i am 21 so lay down some rules momma dont let her take advantage of you or ur house
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 2:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• I would say if she pays rent then you really odn't have a right to know every move, but if you let her stay rent free then you have a right to know. Just remember that she lived on her own and didn't have to tell anyone what she was doing or who she was doing it with. You need to sit her down and explain the expectations. I moved home at 19 after being gone almost 2 years and didn't pay rent but had to tell my parents what they wanted to know and I moved home again about 1 year after I moved out and paid rent and didn't have to tell them anything. Just depends on what will work for your home. BTW I moved out a little over 18 mos later and haven't been back since.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• when i moved back in with my family for a couple months, i payed the cable,electricity, and Internet. varied $200-300. i also was going to school full-time and working part-time.

Jgreg

Answer by Jgreg at 2:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• You have to remember she is 22 and not 16 anymore... So she dosnt have to tell you were she is going or who she is with she's an adult give her space. But she should atleast tell you when she is coming home... Im 22 and my mom asks me what im doing or who i am with and i remind her that im 22 and i will be fine... I tell her what time im going to be home though because we have two dogs that bark and i have a 4yr old daughter that is sleeping usually when im comming in...
    bellasmommy1988

Answer by bellasmommy1988 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• she would have to pay something....
    maisah

Answer by maisah at 10:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2011