How can i get a two year old girl potty trained when it almost seems like she enjoys people to change her.

She doesnt mind having either pee or poop in her diaper. She wont even tell you. She doesnt get into trouble or get scolded when she has her accidents. She spends about 2 months at a time with her dad and then back with her mom for about another 2 months, which I know has to be very difficult. Please help. My friend really needs some advice. Her step daughter is almost three, she has a boy who is almost 2 and a 4 month old.

angelhom

Asked by angelhom at 1:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like the child is simply not ready to potty train. Not all kids are ready at 2. My daughter finally got serious about it when she turned 3. With the instability of going back and forth between parents, plus a new baby in the house, it's not uncommon for a toddler to cling to baby things. Your friend needs to play the encouragement game. Get her a special potty and big girl panties of her own choice. Encourage her to sit on it once an hour, if possible. Then when she happens to actually pee, praise her like crazy! My daughter loved choosing a sticker for a prize when she peed on the potty. Never reward with food and NEVER scold for having an accident! She'll get there, it sounds like this little girl has a lot going on in her life. She should definitely be encouraged, but not rushed.
    MidnightMama911

Answer by MidnightMama911 at 3:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Hi, when I first started trying to potty train my son (at 2) he was scared of being naked! I tried again three months later after slowly working on his 'problem.' I took all his diapers away (except at night, nap time, and errands) and left him in underpants. It takes a lot of will power to do that which I didn't have, so I ended up packing all but 1 diaper in the car my hubby took to work each morning. It was a lot of mess at first (he even played in his pee the 1st two times-yuck) but in three weeks he was completley finished. Stickers did nothing for my son, but m&m's worked like a charm (he also learned new colors that way!)
    mrsjoeljr

Answer by mrsjoeljr at 9:12 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• You have more than one issue affecting your situation. First, you need to be on the same page as the other household if at all possible. Then, make it exciting and fun for her. Show her what to do and when she does make a big deal out of it, in a way that she will come back for more (buy a bunch of dollar store items and wrap them like presents. Tell her when she goes all the time in the potty, you will have a party for her. I think Dr. Phil recommended this. Instead of the present though, he had "Thomas the Train" call when she went on the potty and to remind her about the party. You could have her favorite character do so. There is always the chance it's a little too early for her still or that your situation with two households will make it hard to keep it going. If you start on your time and succeed, she should keep it up at your house. Definitely notify the other household if you succeed and how you did it.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:34 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• 3 of my dc were not potty trained until right after their 3rd birthday. I don't think it's a big deal at all. I have found that waiting until the child is completely ready to potty train is by far the easiest way to do it. With my first 2 dc, I attempted to potty train them without waiting for them to initiate it, and it took months and months before they were daytime trained, and years until they were nighttime trained. It was awful. With the other children, I waited until they wanted to be potty trained, and it literally took about 3 days before they were completely out of diapers day and night. MUCH easier! I can't imagine how emotionally difficult it must be for a child that age to be going back and forth like that for 2 months at a time. That seems like it should be more of a concern than the potty training.
    Anonymous

• those are all signs the child is not ready my son is the same and i will not push him he will be three in april. all you can do is make it fun with rewards.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 3:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2008