Any advice on potty training a dog to go outside???

I just got a puppy (a poodle) and I have no clue how to start potty training it. Any ideas?? Thankyou!

maderacaligirl

Asked by maderacaligirl at 2:35 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Pets

• The highest rated thing is "Crate Training"(it was even recommended by our vet), but I honestly didn't have the heart to do that, so we trained our pup with puppy pads. You place one in every room, and once they get the hang of going there, you narrown it down to one. Once they know that's the palce to go, start moving it close to the door.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I always crate train, works awesome. My puppies enjoyed their crate, it was their retreat. I have one that is pee pad trained, and one that is outside trained, and I crated to achieve both.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 3:23 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• DO NOT use puppy pads!! You train them to go in the house and then you fight to break them of it . . . do crate training and put a bell on the door. Each time you go outside, touch the bell with his/her paws and say OUTSIDE, and then proceed outside. Stay out there until he/she goes potty and congratulate ecstaticly once it happens, followed by a treat. D
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:25 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Do this every 1-2 hours while you are home and while you're not home . . the dog should be in the crate! However, be careful of the size of the crate, if it is large enough, they will pee or poo on one side and sleep in the other, it must only be large enough for them to lay down, stand up and turn around. Here is a website where you can purchase a bell, but I'm sure they're available at your local petsmart or superpetz or petco.

www.drsfostersmith.com
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:30 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I had great success crate training our first dog. We have a puppy now, and we sold our crate, so we have him confined to the kitchen with a baby gate and a puppy pad. He used the pads a lot at first, now he holds it. He hasn't had any accidents for weeks, so I'm hoping it stays that way. We also used lots of verbal praise and gave small treats outside when they went potty outside. A dog trainer told us to use key words like potty outside when we take them out, then reward them heavily when they do go outside.
    sqrlmama

Answer by sqrlmama at 7:07 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• puppies are a lot like potty-training children. Observe!!! Get to know the signs she gives you before she goes. Then use the same statement like "outside" and let her out. This way, she knows when she hears you say this every time that you are about to let her out, and will "hold it" for a moment longer. Most dogs don't like to defecate where they live (which is why "crate training" works) but I believe crate training should not be used except at night, and when owners are not home... otherwise the puppy doesn't "assimilate" into the family, and you will have to keep her crated all the time. Why then, did you get a dog?
    hippiecrit

Answer by hippiecrit at 10:22 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• . If you are a novice, you need to get the right start .A puppy needs all kinds of training. Potty is always the first thing we think of. So we need to be ready to do it right, so your doggy gets it right from the start.When we train our children we observe them so we know when things need to be addressed. Same with your puppy. When a puppy eats or drinks water, they need to go outside within a few minutes afterwards, On a leash , with a collar,halter,to go for that walk to learn to potty outside. Use an area,where others have gone before. The mailbox has a lot of messages from others that have past this way on their potty walks.Find one area to go to each time.Use the word potty walk and when they go use a praise for good job done. Use a crate at night when you sleep or out for a short time. Always potty before and when they get out of crate.Monitor food and water times. (next pg)
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 9:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Puppies have small bladders and have little control. They need to be watched over and have a routine . Take that walk outside with a collar and lead, to make sure she gets to the spot to learn to go there. Training on a lead is great for that walk in the morning , afternoon and evening. Thats a good way to make sure she gets out enough to learn that is where she needs to go. Winter up north is a hard time to train, but it can be done if you know it's like a job you have to do, if you want the results. So Good luck and do have fun with your pup. I have 4 dogs and they are my best friends. Hope yours turns out to be too.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 9:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My grandma swears by this and has had every dog she owned trained this way.

She hung a bell on a cord on the handle of the door. Everytime she'd take the dog out to do it's thing, she'd ring the bell first. Pretty soon, the dog just knew if it wanted to go outside, to ring the bell. It's amazing! It's strange but it works!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I just got a puppy and am new to the potty training/crate training a puppy. What has worked best for Mercedes is while at home I take her out every 2-3 hours.I read somewhere that you take their age in months and add 1 and that is how many hours she should be able to go she is 2 months old and u add 1that is 3 hours this seems to hold true for her. (excpet at night she can go longer) but I wouldn't recommend it. Just watch your puppy signs when you see him/her sniffing around take it outside you may have to wait for a couple of minutes. I have another dog I can just let go outside he does his business and comes in puppies are babies and they haven't figured it out yet. When s/he does do its business praise her like crazy It was hard for me to crate train her for the first couple of nights but we have reached an understanding and she is doing much better. If you want to you can pm me me and we can talk
    ntschetter

Answer by ntschetter at 7:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2008