Started giving cow milk at 11 months, was that to soon? and should go back to formula.

Baby will be 12 mnths couple of days, I recently read that the stomack was not ready for cows milk , so should I take him to the doctor???

girlboy2

Asked by girlboy2 at 2:45 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 1st born I started giving cows milk at a year, but 2nd born like 10-11 months. I think the baby will be fine. My SIL gave her kids cows milk at like 6 or 7 months and to me that would be way too soon.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 2:47 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Some people will say "no cows mils until over 1 year", but my daughter started milk early due to some digestive problems she was having. The WIC office said that since she was so close to her first birthday, and she didn't ahve any problems with it, there was not a problem.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:48 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• i my daughter is 13 months and she drinks cows milk i started giving her a little bit before her 1st birthday and she drank les and less formula and more milk
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 3:16 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• As long as you don't notice a change in anything, (Bowel movements or acting like she's in pain.) I wouldn't even worry about it. Yes cows milk can cause stomach bleeding in children under a year but you know what? It can cause it in adults as well. The likely hood of anything bad happening is soooo very low that your probably doing more harm by worrying so much about it. So don't stress she'll be fine.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:57 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• There is nothing magical about the day they turn one. If she's not having any trouble leave it be and move on. There's no reason to go back to formula as long as she's eating a balanced diet and getting her nutrition from food.

My boys were all on milk at 9 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:37 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• the question is how is handeling the cows milk? if he is drinking it and all is good then you are fine. if he is showing signs of belly ache or constipation i would call the doctor. the way i see it is what did they do back in the day when there was no formula. that is right they gave milk so you did nothing wrong. if he is doing well with it don't worry.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My pediatrician said that once they were taking table/toddler food then move them to milk. Quoting her "the formula company is out to sell a product".
    Sara
    www.ouradoptionjourney.net
    sjd314

Answer by sjd314 at 9:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2008