This might be a weird question: Self-inducing

So I have a question. I don't know, it might be a weird one. I'm dilated to 3 cm, if my husband gets up there with his fingers and "stirs it up" a little, will that help with bringing on labor? I know sex is supposed to but since I'm dilated, he's worried about hurting the baby or "squirting him". LOL. Is having him do that in any way possibly harmful?

rethink911

Asked by rethink911 at 3:32 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• No, the doctor did that for me when I was pregnant with my last one. It should stimulate some mild contractions - which will hopefully bring on more!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:41 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• It will only help if she knows what he's doing or if he can bring you to orgasm. Tell him not to worry about the baby. Your little one will be just fine. Your hubby's semen will actually help soften the cervix and hopefully get things moving for you!

good Luck! I'm in the same boat.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:49 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• It's really the combination of the semen and the orgasm that helps induce labor. Helping out "manually" can give it a bit of a kick start, but not the same.

Convince Hubby that this might be his last chance to have sex with you for several months, and especially without the chance of getting you pregnant! lol!!!

Babies in the womb actually like it when you're having sex, please don't worry about the baby. He can't "squirt" the baby, there's a wall in the way. The rocking motion in the water combined with your increase in hormones and seratonin levels make the baby happy and comfortable. Sex while preggy is fine, natural and a wonderful experience for all concerned...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 4:44 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• You can also try squatting and maternity acupressure to help start labor.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:11 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I've heard nipple stimulation helps bring on labor/contractions. The reason behind that is that stimulating milk to come into your breasts is the same hormone for contractions, oxytocin. Also, there are birthing centers that actually encourage sex between couples right up to the last part of labor and delivery.(I forget what the name and location of that center is....I seen an episode on TV.)
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• You want him to really wash his hands or wear gloves thugh becasue he can cause infection with his fingers and seamen is supposed to react with the cervix to open it more, so "squirting him" is a good thing.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 10:43 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• TRY DRINKING A TBSP OF CASTRO OIL.
    BUT YA IT REALLY IS THE SEMEN THAT SOFTENS THE CERVIX ALONG WITH THE ORGASM.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 4:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Have sex and then lay on your back for a while, the semen will ripen that cervix up and make sure during sex you get lots of nipple stimulation and orgasm too. Those last two will start contractions. Tell hubby dont worry he wont hit the baby. I would not recommend castor oil unless you want horrible cramping and diarhea while you are in labor. Also walk walk walk, that will help too.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2008