cps and overweight children

ok i think there is a point where someone needs to step in and help these poor kids..have you ever seen extremly overweight kids and then you see there parents and see why...it is terrible for parents to let their chldren get so big it is sooo unhealthy and can cause medical problems..does anyone else think this is kinda child abuse because these parents are directing their kids down a bad path and if nobody does nething those kids will be messed up for life i feel like cps should step in and tell the parents to get their act together

akashaismyworld

Asked by akashaismyworld at 4:32 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• well i cant say that call cps on every over weight childs parents is the right thing to do. you dont' know the circumstances maybe there is a problem that is making them over weight. my sister in law however has a child that is over weight and it is her fault. they eat out every night of the week. the boy gets up and grabs a bag of chips or a gallon of ice cream and sits in front of the tv and eats the whole thing. now that is a problem and something should be done. but i am sure that is not the case in every situation.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I don't think a call to CPS is warranted. There can be all kinds of reasons. My sis is in visiting us and she and her DH are total health nuts and their youngest daughter is off the charts overweight! She eats a lot... good foods!, and is also a very active 13 month old, so they just aren't sure what to do yet. She goes to the doctor, so they are keeping an eye on it.

Also, my neighbors have a son who was on steroids while he was taking chemo for cancer. This caused extreme hunger and weight gain. Obviously since he was a cancer patient his weight and everything else was being closely monitored and the docs said this was to be expected and that he'd lose the weight later (he did)... but she got some really nasty looks and comments during that time.

You just never know the circumstances...
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 11:26 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• But its not just the obviously overweight children are suffering this way - lots of children are fed rubbish..and just because it doesnt show weight wise doesnt mean it is messing them up any less.

I know what you mean though - but really I think there needs to be a change in fast food restaurants/television advertisement and also people should be educated PROPERLY about nutrition and not fed junk science so people go out and bye meat and dairy and cakes.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:57 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• my sil is over weight but she had health probs since birth. You dont have to call cps on ppl for every lil thing~!
    seasnakesc

Answer by seasnakesc at 12:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2009