My ex has just taken up smoking, am I right in trying to persuade him to stop even if he insists he won't do it around our daughters?

.nicola.

Asked by .nicola. at 5:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• Yes. I think it is impossible to hide smoking for your kids. Even if your ex promises not to smoke in front of your daughters, if he is a smoker they will eventually smell it on him or see his pack of cigarettes somewhere. What if they associate that smell, or the pack of cigarettes with Daddy, and think it's "cool". What is to stop them from picking up the habit - if Daddy does it, why shouldn't they? This may be years down the road (I don't know how old your daughters are) but if they look up to thier father they may want to do what he does as they get older.
    Anonymous

• i agree.
    pjsmom08

Answer by pjsmom08 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I offer a smoking detox formula that may help and is easy to take. You could find out if he would take it and let me know. email me.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 7:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• he just "took up" smoking? how old is he?
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• WHY DID HE EVEN START?
    Anonymous

• Yes.
    1. they'll find out and then their chances of smoking later increase
    2. health- you want a husband and your kids need a dad, for as long as possible on this earth.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• cig. toxins stick to clothing and such personal affects. Why would he "take up smoking" now?
    TheEyesDesire

Answer by TheEyesDesire at 12:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• You should try to convince him to stop smoking. Try your hardest. My husband and I have been smoking for years. We don't smoke in the house. I don't smoke around my 3yr old when we are outside together but his dad does. My 3yr old will ask me why his daddy smokes fire. He has even said a couple times out of the blue that he wants a cigarette. That makes me feel like a horrible parent. We keep trying to quit smoking but haven't had any success. Please try to convince your husband to quit if you can. Maybe you should let him read this. It really hurts to hear your 3yr old ask for a cigarette.
    callico

Answer by callico at 1:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2008