How do I get my son to sleep?

My son is 7 months old and is part-time Breastfeeding and part-time on the bottle, he won't go down for bed or a nap without being breastfed, I've tried putting him to be with the bottle but he starts crying have way throughg the bottle. What do i do?

crazyone5808

Asked by crazyone5808 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't put him to bed with a bottle unless it just has water in it. If he gets in the habit of a bottle of milk in bed then when he gets teeth it could cause problems with the teeth. But having said this, which I realize wasn't your question: I wonder if he is sucking in air with the bottle and needs to be burped. Perhaps all you can do is to feed the bottle, and burping, before laying him down. If he starts crying then rub his tummy a bit to comfort him. If the bed is warmed a bit by using a hot water bottle or heating pad that is removed before baby is put in the bed, maybe the bed would seem more comfortable. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Try putting him down awake. He's only crying because he is tired. You gotta let him cry sometimes.
    The sooner you let him try to get to sleep by himself, the easier it will be for the both of you. He may cry for ten minutes and then go to sleep, maybe longer.

Teaching your child to self-soothe is one of the best gifts that you can give them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2008