How do you get motivated to clean?

My house is a mess and ever since winter (Wisconsin...yuck) I've just lost all motivation to clean. I always start and never finish. I get the kitchen done so that looks good and the rest is still a mess... then the next time I clean the living room but then the kitchens a mess by then. And I try cleaning as I go type thing but my b/f is not the best at that. Normally I don't mind cleaning and our house looks great but now it feels like a chore. Any ideas or advice ladies? I need to get this place organized and cleeeaaann!!! (I tried rearranging to make things more fun... didn't work)

dtetz

Asked by dtetz at 9:38 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Set a timer and only clean until the timer goes off, lol! You will get frustrated when the timer goes off and you aren't done. Works for me. Or play the cleaning game. There is a group on here that does the clenaing game. It is fun!
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• sorry i have the same problem. haha i HATE cleaning.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• they say pump up hte music and just get going. i don't even have the motivation to do that LOL
    krazyash023

• Usually seeing my livinroom a mess & being bored is enough motivation lol. Now actually getting to do it without the kids following around and messing it up behind me is another story. I usually get up earlier then everyone else and have some coffee then start cleaning. I can do about everything but vacuum. Then when they wake up I vacuum & do dishes.

Answer by gemgem at 9:43 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Mainly I am motivated if I have company coming. Other than that if I see a layer of dust. Or if I trip over the stuff in the middle of the floor. Or if I don't have room to set anything down. What I have to do is to catch myself by surprise. I don't get up in the morning thinking I am going to clean today. I just start a cleaning project without thinking about doing it, and before I know, I've cleaned.

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Try turning on every light in the house to make it brighter. In winter it is hard to motivate b/c of the lack of sunlight, so brighten up your world & you'll be more motivated to do stuff, lots of stuff, not just clean. Also, minimize what is in your home so you have less to clean up - if you don't use it, get rid of it or pack it away for a few months. If you haven't missed after those few months, chances are you never will and you can just donate the box to charity. A good rule is "everything has a place & everything in its place" - when you buy something new, know where it's going b/f you bring it home or know what you're getting rid of first to make room for the new thing. The less you have, the easier it is to clean what you have. Think of useful objects as art & you'll never have a dust collector in your home again b/c every object will be in constant use.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:16 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• This is morbid I know but it really works! We had two deaths in our family close to gather and just having to go thru all the stuff they had collected, and how obvious it was they were not very neat people makes me think how bad it would make me look if I died how bad of a housekeeper I would look like, I was a person who thought it was ok for a house to look lived in and cobwebs were country lol but now I clean regularly like I am getting my affairs in order went thru everything in every room and either tossed it, gave it away or put it on EBAY if it wasn't something necessary and I enjoy how everyone that comes over says wow how do you keep everything so neat and orderly and smelling so good! I burn the glade candles everyday, use the dryer sheets stuck to my air filters. Keeps your mind focused on a purpose for cleaning.
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 8:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Whats the cleaning game?
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2008