My infant hasn't pooped in 3 days!

This isn't normal for him at all. He hasn't pooped at all in 3 days. He's been eating solids since 6 months old and he is breastfed as well. I've tried pear juice/apple juice and eating pears myself (since the pediatrician recommended it before) and he still hasn't pooped. Has this happened to your baby and if so what'd you do to help them? I feel bad for my poor little man

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 9:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he now? Any change at all in his diet? Have you introduced any formula or cows milk to supplement? It he taking a lot of fluid every day?

That said, you can try 1/2 a glycerin suppository. They're safe and you can get them at WalMart. As someone said the other day, if you go this course, make SURE you have a diaper under him because he'll likely poop fast.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 9:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• As long as he isn't acting like he is in extreme pain - just keep giving him liquids. I would actually stop solids and just breastfeed until he poops. My doctor always told me not to be concerned (assuming he isn't in pain) until it had been a week. When mine had problems, I just started breastfeeding only.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• unless he is reacting badly to a new food he is fine, just prepare for a full-on poo assault when it finally comes out
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 9:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• Does he appear in pain? Is he "trying" to go but can't?? Bowel habits can change with foods etc.. If he is not in any pain, tummy not hard etc.. I would give it another day or so and call your ped if he doesn't go on his own.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• GO TO THE DOCTOR ASP BECAUSE THATS NOT GOOD TO LET BABIES GO THAT LONG. IF THE DOCTOR IS TELLING YOU SOMETHONG THAT IS NOT WORK SO TRY SOMETHING ELSE LIKE PRUNES. THAT WORK FOR MY 15MTHS OLD BABY EVERYTIME. ANOTHER THING IS TO TRY PRUNE JUICE WITH APPLE, THAT WORK FOR MY BABY TO. GOOD LUCK , IF ALL THAT DOESN'T WORK TAKE THE BABY TO THE HOSPITAL FAST.
    sweetkim247

Answer by sweetkim247 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• My son used to go every 4-5 days. It was normal for him. He is only constipated if, when he does go, the poop is dry and hard. Otherwise, it's fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• Check with your doctor. Some babies don't need to go very often and it can change as they grow.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 10:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• I would cut back on, or cut out, the solids, just for now. It is normal for EBF babies to go long periods without bowel movements, up to about 20 days, but your baby is not EBF since solids are in the mix. I still would not be overly concerned at this point.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• sweetkim- I spoke to the advice nurse that day and she said since he's breastfed it's normal as long as he isn't in pain. also, it's okay until he goes over 5 days without going. I appreciate all concerns. luckily that day he ended up going enough to make up for the days lol
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Aug. 24, 2011