Is wearing a long black dress to a 4 o'clock wedding on dec 27th in Miami FL okay?

aportella

Asked by aportella at 10:29 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• I always thought the rule of thumb was never wear black, red, or white to a wedding.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:31 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I thought black was for funerals. White is for the bride, and any other collar is for guests of the wedding.  But that is just my opinion.

Answer by louise2 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• You CAN wear red. You CAN'T wear white because of the bride and you shouldn't wear black because it's generally used to attend funerals. I guess it's the "mourning" color for a death.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Sure. Anything goes except for white.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I never understood why we couldn't wear black to a wedding. Some say it's disrespectful or bad luck. But if you think about it almost all men wear black tuxedo's in a wedding and nothing ever gets said about them wearing it. So why should it apply to women? I think black is okay to wear. It's a sophisticated color and it goes with anything.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I thought the black would be OK, too, especially if accessorized well. I was wondering about the length for a daytime wedding. But this article says no black during the day:

http://www.weddingtactics.com/dos-and-dont-how-to-dress-as-a-wedding-guest/

* Don’t wear white because it competes with the bride.
    * Black and sequins are not appropriate for daytime weddings.
    * It is OKAY if you are wearing the same color as the maids and moms … come on, you can’t be responsible for finding out what everyone is wearing and it really doesn’t matter.
    * Be feminine, appropriate, and respectful in what you wear.
    * Don’t wear anything overtly sexy.
    * No clubwear.
    * A pastel suit or soft floral dress for daytime or a little black dress for evening (after 6 p.m.) will take you almost anywhere.

Answer by Bmat at 10:42 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Unless the bridesmaids are wearing black I would say it's okay. But I think I would add a white satin/lacy wrap, and select a dress that was more "wedding like" tea/knee length with sequins/rhinestones or lacy, or having spaghetti straps (since you're in Florida), and wear skin color nylons with black strappy shoes.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:42 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• From the same website that I posted above: Concerning lengths and styles:
    A short dress or not-too-business like suit is acceptable for a casual or semi-formal daytime wedding. For an evening wedding, informal or semi-formal, think: country club, garden wedding, pool or lakeside, a cocktail dress is called for. If the wedding takes place midday and is formal, think: a VIP wedding, suits and dresses are appropriate and hats and gloves are optional, a la Jackie Kennedy. Evening and black-tie events dictate a long dress or a fancy short cocktail dress stepped up with glitzy accessories or a shoulder wrap.

Answer by Bmat at 10:45 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• This site says black is fine, but short until 5 or later:
    http://www.squidoo.com/weddingguestattire
    After 5 P.M., weddings are usually more formal - so the proper wedding guest attire might be a suit or short cocktail dress. .

Answer by Bmat at 10:49 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• where whatever you want...none of these ppl who are answering these questions are stylist
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 26, 2008