How Can I become a stay at home mom? I work in news and wake up at 2 am every morning and have a 17month old its so hard what can I do?

I also have a license to do hair but it is not my favorite thing to do. My husband works for his dads company and is so busy I just want more sleep and time with family any suggestions?

kristaglover21

Asked by kristaglover21 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Money & Work

• Bottom line, can you AFFORD to be a SAHM? Have you and your husband actually sat down to figure out your income vs debt?! You may need to reevaluate how much childcare is costing you in time and money so that you can work versus staying home with your child.

A friend of mine thought she HAD to work in order to "make it." When she and her husband sat down and REALLY looked at all of their childcare debts, they realized the cost of daycare, gas to/from daycare/work, etc., diapers, snacks, etc., NOT provided by the service versus her salary (minus taxes, withholdings, etc.), ended up EARNING her about $43 a WEEK!!! They decided they could live without a few "niceties," and they've been quite happy since!

You may need to eliminate or scale down a few "creature comforts" too but if you REALLY want to, you can probably figure our a way to get your sleep and enjoy time with your family.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:11 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Also figure in things like if your work clothes are dry clean only, most mommy clothes just go in the washer,so that is another cost of working, if you go out to eat more often, stop every morning for a coffee on the way to work, getting regular manicures. Make a list of all the things you would cut by not going to work and all the things you could comfortably cut back on if you stayed home, like what are you willing to give up to be home with your baby. When my ds was little we figured out that I couldn't afford to work until he went to school and there wouldn't be the cost of daycare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Well, I am a WAHM. I'm still here with my kids and I make my own schedule. BUT I still work. In fact I own the business. I could give you some information on what I do and on my company it self if you would like. I have been very happy with the income, which continues to grow. Really for me it has been the best of both worlds. I'm with my family AND still have the income we need! If you are willing to work you can honestly make as much as you want with this company and still be at home. My website is www.DailyPayFromHome.com or just send me a message. I'd be happy to give you some information.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Girl, you probably have a talent you can cash in on. I would sit down and make some lists, of what you like to do, what you are capable of doing, etc. I found some excellent resources at www.stuffformoms.info for businesses to start at home.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Have you considered working for yourself? Working your own hours?
    I found a line of skincare products that are made without mineral oil so they don't clog your pores. There are items for babies, teens, anti-aging and a mens line; and all are free of animal products.
    These are high quality products. You can build your business as fast as you want to.
    There are many successful business women who have decided to stop trading their time for money and build residual income for themselves. If you want to know more visit www.try.myarbonne.com
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• HEY THERE,
    I WORK FROM HOME WITH A HEALTH & WELLNESS COMPANY THAT I LOVE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFO GO TO MY WEBSITE WWW.THEMONEYMAKINGMOM.COM & LEAVE YOUR INFO AND I WILL CONTACT YOU SHORTLY.
    elaina1983

Answer by elaina1983 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Hmmm. You need to decide when you want to work, then what you can do to meet that schedule and not be completely boring and a little bit of fun. What hours do you want to work?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Make extra mone like I do online. http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/ (it's free)

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I have been a wahm/sahm for 5 yrs and love it!I think working for yourself is a great way to leverage your time between creating an income for your family,but still being there for the moments that matter.I would chat with your dh about it and start exploring your interests,good luck!
    HealthyMom27

Answer by HealthyMom27 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• - Determine if you are looking for a JOB or a BUSINESS -- there is a distinct difference between the two and you want to focus your energies appropriately for the best results.

- If looking for a JOB, what are your marketable skills and previous experiences? If you are looking for a BUSINESS, go with your passions, things that interest and motivate you the most. Build a list and use that to begin your search. General rule of thumb: Never pay for a job (businesses, on the other hand, usually involve some expenses).

- Review your budget -- know ahead of time what you are willing and able to invest into your business, including start-up costs and ongoing maintenance and promotion.

- Find a rep to contact, check out their websites, ask questions, do your own independent research.

Ulanda
    Founder, The Internet Income Center
    nuwave06

Answer by nuwave06 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2008