Does anyone know about night terrors in toddlers? I think my 14 mo old is having them.

What is the reason for night terrors?

loveeeyore

Asked by loveeeyore at 11:30 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There isn't a known cause for night terrors in children. It is a disorder related to sleep walking, talking in your sleep, eating in your sleep, and a few other less known disorders. Sometimes it's passed on in families, sometimes there is nothing. I have adult night terrors, which are usually caused by a traumatic event, but kids who lead perfect lives can get them for no reason at all.

I can get into more detail if you'd like to PM me, but the thing that seperates NT's from nightmares is that your baby will physically wake up during the NT, but mentally still be stuck in the terror. So his eyes might open, but he is seeing whatever it is that he's dreaming about. (You didn't say boy or girl, so forgive me if I'm wrong lol)

SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• The most important thing is to avoid waking him up. Just tell him over and over "Mommy is here, Mommy made it go away. It's ok now, Mommy took care of it. You're safe now. Mommy is here." He might look at you and see a monster, so reassurance is important because he might not recognize you.
    SamanthaAgain

• Yep, there is no real reason.
    You just stay nearby to make sure he doesn't hurt himself and keep making soothing noises - either "Mommy is here" type things or softly singing a favorite song. Just something that may penetrate his sleeping brain (because he is still asleep) and that may help calm him down. Once he lays back down, cover him up and tip-toe out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I am not trying to scare you ...but a 2 year old boy at our daycare went for testing last week b/c his parents thought he had been having night terrors for about 1 year....Dr's finally diagnosed him with night seizures......You may need to ask a Dr.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I just had a conversation with my friend about this. My 14 month old little guy is a month older than hers. My son has had a couple episodes a few months back and hers just started having them too. She asked her Dr. about it and he told her that it's completely normal around the year old mark for this too happen....and...it's actually a good thing. He told her that it shows the brain is functioning normally and the child has a good imagination.

If it doesn't stop here after a while I might check more into it, but if it's just off an on, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• ...Cont...

The soothing talk is really one of the best things you can do. I sing to my son and that seems to help unless I stop. One night he cried for so long the only thing I could think to do was go and get him in a warm bath with me. ( I thought maybe the water would soothe him). We got in and he stopped crying and fell asleep on me. Just a minute or 2 later his eyes opened wide awake and he looked at me and said "okay....daddy" I'm like " I'm up at 2:30 in the morning in the tub with you and you want DADDY?!" I was just glad he stopped crying though, so we went and got daddy!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 27, 2008