Probiotics and the fridge

I bought some probiotics and the box says to refrigerate after opening. The guy at GNC told me that the ones that have to stay in the fridge are the ones that are the weakest, but the ones I got from there say to do so. Will it make a diffences if I dont? He told me to take one 1-3 times a day, and I cring two of them with me to take when I am at work and cant keep them cold.

MizzNicole

Asked by MizzNicole at 11:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Health

• keep them in the fridge at home but taking two with you to work is fine its not going to effect them that much.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• The guy in the store didn't know what he was talking about.  The ones in the fridge are stronger because you are taking live bacteria, the cold keeps they alive.  The ones on the shelf will lose about half of their potency because the bacteria will die.

Also look for ones that are enteric coated.  This means that they will dissolve in the intestines where you need them and not the stomach where the stomach acid will kill most of the bacteria.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• BTW the best ones to buy are the ones that are refrigerated in the store not just after opening.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2008