I am 40 weeks today!!

I went to the doctors this past tuesday and he told me that i was 2 cm and 80% effaced, he told me that he thinks i will go before new years eve!! What does that 80% mean?? I when i stood up eariler i have some fluid leak out could that be anything? and should i call the doctor or should i wait to see if i start having contactions??

babyzawojskyj08

Asked by babyzawojskyj08 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• That means your cervix is almost completely thinned out. 100% effaced would mean that it's totally flat. The leaking could be urine or you could be leaking amniotic fluid. If it continues you should get it checked out.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 12:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• you should go to the ER if you're still leaking fluid...it can be a slow leak. i would get it checked out, you may be having your baby within 24 hours from now! Congrats! YAY!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Are you still leaking fluid? If you're leaking fluid that you're pretty sure wasn't just urine (big babies can push out some pee - lovely, I know) you can test it like this -- Put a pad on and lay down, if its sopping wet when you sit up and it's not yellow from urine - go the the L&D at your hospital. Usually they have a triage or check in area. They will check the fluid to see if your water broke. If you think your water broke do not take a bath or have sex - you don't want to risk something getting an infection.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• how heavy is the flow? have you passed the mucus plug yet? are you having trouble walking or moving around? any cramps or pains anywhere? pretty much call your nurse line and tell them everything that is going on. sometimes getting checked by your ob/gyn cause induce labor or cause some fluid to leak.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2008