Do you heat up baby food?

Last night at Christmas dinner, I gave my 6 month old a jar of baby food. He's always eaten it at room temperature, but my MIL was shocked. She said her kids refused to eat anything that wasn't heated first. This explains to me why he never finishes a jar when she babysits, he's used to it room temp!

I was just wondering if I'm odd for this. Do you heat up baby food?

SamanthaAgain

Asked by SamanthaAgain at 12:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• once the child is on baby food unless you have had it in the fridge there really isn't a need to heat it up. unless the child has a finicky tummy or is a fussy eater. 3 out of 4 of mine all ate their baby food at room temp.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• i never heated my kids baby food
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• i only warm it if its like veggies or like a turkey dinner or mac and cheese.. the things that i would like to eat warm. but if i'm out and don't have a microwave then no id on't
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Well, my daughter always ate table food that was warm, but my other family member and friends who feed jarred baby food NEVER warm it up, they all feed at room temp.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• btw my mom is the same way if his food isn't warmed up she yells at me and tells me to warm that babys food haha
    krazyash023

• I only heated cereal, not other food.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 1:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• well you are actually -suppose- to heat it up to avoid an upset stomach. BUT.. my friends son refused to drink warm/hot milk. he always wanted the formula cold. my daughter gets sick from food thats not heated up (unless its suppose to eat cold, like fruits, some veggies ect.).. other kids get sick from it too.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Actually do you are not odd.  It usually depends on the preference of the child.  Some children prefer it warmed up, room temperature, or cold.  You can always read the label and see what they recommend.  But the best way to feed the baby is to give it the way he or she likes it.

NuMommy87

Answer by NuMommy87 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Only when its been in the fridge. At dinner, I spoon out half a fruit and half a veg onto her plate and refrigerate the rest til the next day . . . so I guess, every other day!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2008