sunburns?

I have a 1 and 2 year old that love to go on walks...i always put sunscreen on when we go outside but lately its just been so hot that we wait until 6:30-7 in the evening to go on our walks...Do i still need to put sunscreen on them...?

mom2girliegirls

Asked by mom2girliegirls at 6:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Yes. Anytime you go outside for more than half an hour during the daylight hours, even if it is cloudy. They may not get burned, but burning isn't the only long term risk factor for skin cancer.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 6:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• yes but becareful which sunscreen you buy most have cancer causing agents
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• yes.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• yep...if they burn easily....i am lucky to have some native american blood in me, so my son only needs sunscreen for a long day at the beach....but i babysat a fair skinned boy one time who burnt after only about an hour outside because i never thought to put sunscreen on him since my son never needs it here in ky
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• CLOTHS AND A HAT ARE BETTER.THAT STUFF HAS NOTHING GOOD FOR THE SKIN BUT PROTECT THEM MAYBE EVEN A UMBRELLA. BUT IF YOU DO USE SUNBLOCK YOU EVEN NEED IT ON CLOUDY DAYS... AND PICK THE BEST ONE 15 30 50 OR ASK THE PHARMIST
    Anonymous

• Water babies works well and always put sunblock on atlest 30min prior to going outside to give it time to absorb. The higher the spf the better...
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Just remember you should put it on about 20 minutes before going that is how long it takes to be affective also you should re-apply about every hour or half hour if they have been swimming or sweating. Kids do not need tans I do not get why people let their 12 years old tan, it bothers me.
    TheEyesDesire

Answer by TheEyesDesire at 12:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I'll be honest and tell you that we don't. We should, but if we aren't out in the direct sun we tend to not. I am the sunscreen queen at the pool, and in any major sunny areas. Yes, sun damage can still occur, but for short bike rides or walks we just don't always do it.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2008