MY 2 YEAR OLD HAS AUTISM.......

I HAVE 3 PEDS.,A PULMONOLOGIST,A SPEECH TEACHER AND AN OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST TELLING ME HE DOES BUT CANT GET HIM CHECKED FOR 2 YEARS. WE LIVE IN PA. AND THE WAIT LIST IS 2 YEARS BUT I NEED HELP NOW. HE HAS VERY BAD TEMPER TANTRUMS AND VERY VERY VERY BAD BEHAVIORAL PROBLEMS. I JUST NEED SOME ADVICE.

gr8tmomof2

Asked by gr8tmomof2 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It takes a lot of testing to get a final diagnosis. I'd call the Dept. of Health and Human Services and see if they can refer to you to anywhere else.

I also live in PA and my oldest finally got diagnosed with PDD-NOS this past summer at age 8. The center that we went to had a 7 month waiting list, but there is a program called I.U. (Intermediate Unit) 13 (there are other I.U. units in other areas of the state, but they have a different number after them... 13 is the one for my area) that does early intervention for kids under the age of 3. They can usually see you within a month. I don't *think" they can diagnose autism (but I could be wrong... they didn't catch my son's autism, but did catch his severe speech delay)... BUT they can find the areas he's behind in and start appropriate therapies while you wait for a formal medical diagnosis.

There may be other resources out there as well!

Good luck!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I live in PA as well, and both of my boys (now 5 and 7) are diagnosed with Autism. They were diagnosed at age 2 years 10 months and 4 years respectively (the 2nd one's dx was late due to the wait lists). Even though we knew about our younger one showing signs, we had already sought EI (home and preschool) and Speech. If you're in Eastern PA, try Children's Specialized Hospital Mountainside (Dr. Janice Prontnicki), in Mountainside, NJ (near Westfield), Hunterdon (county) Medical Center, NJ (Dr. Michele Willems-Plakyda), both of those Neurodevelopmental Pediatricians diagnosed my sons (1st and 2nd opinions). At the time the wait list was 3 to 6 months. We also went on the wait list at Good Shepherd Pediatrics Allentown with Dr. Karen Senft, and after an 18 month wait are now seeing her, and no longer the other two, as Dr. Senft is obviously closer, and in state. I think she is FABULOUS!

GOOD LUCK!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• my son is also 2 with mild autism and bad behavior problems, all i can do is try to contain it look for triggers and avoid them do not spank or lose youre temper, although it is very frustrating at times. if he is in a full blown fit i take him to a quiet room and lay with him tell him we are taking a break. my son also has eating habit problems and sleep issues as well.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 3:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• What were the signs that you all were seeing in your children? At what age can you begin to see signs?
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 4:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Hi mom, sorry you are having problems....it can be a diffucult thing. My dd is 3 and has mild autism....has NOT been diagnosed yet....but I know. In our area a child can receive all the therapy even if they have not been diagnosed...the diagnosis is kinda the final truth....so keep checking, call your state education dept. and see if they can refer you for some more intervention therapies.

And as far as discipline....I am patient but firm....the fact that my dd has autism does NOT mean that she cant learn or understand me.....I KNOW what she can and cant understand and am loving and firm....autism is in NO way a free pass ;) It just means I have to be a smarter parent than most ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• you might want to ask his OT about 'brushing' that helped my daughter. she got a lil worse at first but then soon after we started she would be frantic and go find her brush and bring it tp us to brush her. you can goole it by looking up the wilberger protocol i think. it's basically using a surgical brush those soft white or clear ones and brushing the arms and legs and back and hands and feet of the child then doing joint compressions.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

My best advice is to find the support of other moms with children with autism. There are some good groups here on Cafemom and other ones are out there too, just google "Autism support group" etc to find other message boards.

If you live in or near a city with over 150k people (maybe even less) you could start your own "real life" support group for moms with kids with autism. You could arrange it on a site like www.meetup.com or www.qlubb.com. Post fliers up at dr's offices, give to the schools with special ed classes, etc. You all could meet at a coffee shop once a month or so for some "real life" support on stuff like rude comments/stares from strangers, dealing with your children's behavior, and just general mommy support.

Anonymous