turkey

I have a 21 lb in oven,,the wrapper says 4.5 to 5 hours,,,,,,,thats not 20 min a lb ,,,,,I dont trust meat themometer,,,when do you tink it will be done??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I try to cook for 25 mins a lb, but i'm paranoid lol, why don't you trust the thermometer? It should read over 165, fairly quickly. If you have to leave it in there ,and it creeps up slowly, throw the bird back in. The worst that can happen by cooking to long is it will fall apart when you try to move it.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I cooked my 10 pound bird 3 hours. Not sure what that calculates to in pounds per minute. Why not trust a meat thermometer!?!?!?!? Thats just silly. That is the only true way to see if it's done. Cooking times per pound would be something NOT to trust.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• 17 min per pound is quite sufficient for a turkey that is unstuffed. Stuffed, it takes slightly longer. Why wouldn't you trust a meat thermometer? it is the most accurate way to know if the bird's done.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 10:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2008