• In the Spotlight:

Help with feeding schedule

Amari is 6 months today. She has sporadically been on baby food, mostly given at the sitters. I EBF and know that she should begin to be on a more predictable feeding schedule that includes food. She nurses/bottle every three hours now. Can anyone tell me how they have incorporated food into their babies schedules. I have written out a plan where she would still nurse 4 times a day, right now she is at 5. I truly believe that I am just scared to let go of the nursing as well as letting her grow up....any suggestions/advice would be great

blackwellqk

Asked by blackwellqk at 3:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use formula, but I think my schedule would work well with breastfeeding too. The most important thing is to keep her drinking breastmilk, so that always comes first. I give my son a bottle when he first wakes up, and then one more after his nap. Then about 30 minutes later we have breakfast. He has oatmeal cereal with apple juice for breakfast. Then he has one more bottle around 11 or so, and again 30 minutes later he has lunch, usually a fruit. Then two more bottles, and dinner around 5:30 or 6 of vegetables or something filling. This way I'm still getting 5 bottles a day in him, plus three meals. (Yes, I have a hungry baby lol)
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 3:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• What times does he wake up and what time is the nap?
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 3:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• He wakes up around 4am, has a bottle and a diaper change and goes to sleep again until 6. He also has a nap in the afternoon, usually from about 1pm to 4pm.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 3:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• When do you eat breakfast, lunch and supper? That's when her feedings should be, in my book. But I firmly believe in starting habits the way you want them to be...so you don't have to re-train them later.

If you want to start feeding food, do it with your meals. If not...then at least make one of her feedings close to that time (either before, during or after you eat)

I always gave food and a bottle (I formula fed) with our meals. They then received a "snack" between meals and before bed (8-10oz of formula until they started finger foods at 6 months)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• To SamanthaAgain,

Oh, ok...see Amari sleeps until around 8, so we don't do any middle of the night feedings...her 5 feedings come between the hours of 8am and roughly 8pm...To TiccledBlue, she goes to the sitters, so would only eat with me when she is at home. Usually I am having lunch when she is sleeping but I could do the breakfast and dinner portion. I would like to keep the bottle with food, so that she still gets the milk, and then the milk the other 1-2 feedings. She does breast only for her first meal when she wakes up. I do food at the second meal, around 10ish...
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 4:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• at 6mo solids are still just for experience and taste. Breastfeed as often as your child wants to and offer solids at meals with you. here are a couple links for solids and the breastfeed baby http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/index.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I am doing solids with my 5 1/2 month old, I started around 4 1/2 months, but I only do one meal a day, because I don't want to take away from her formula intake. I always feed her dinner while I eat, if I don't, she gets pretty mad!! lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2008