Is this normal for a 3 and half year old...

*counts to at least 30
*Knows her ABC's upper and lower case
*Knows her letter sounds
*is beginning to write letter-writes her name
*can give you the beginning letter of a word
*Can spell her name, her brothers name and mommy and daddy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sure if the child has been taught. Children are literally sponges from birth to age 6. Everyone of my kids and all but one of my grandchildren were reading by the time they turned 4.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• Wow! Thats great. Most 3 year olds don't have all of that, but I do see a few that do!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• My grandson is dyslexic among many other medical issues. He is now 7 and just beginning to really read. "normal" is a word we try to avoid. It may be symantics..but I prefer "average". You've obviously been doing a great job with the 4 yr old and he is really receptive. Keep him challenged. My GD is in the GATE program. The minute she doesn't feel challenged or is bored...ugh...act of city.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• i have a child with delays and autism, so for a long time have ignored any Normal Scale

i am guessing above normal, good for you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• That sounds about right/normal
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• I have achild with Autism to so I have no idea what normal looks like. thats why I asked.

--------------------
    mine just turned four at 3.5 she could
    say her name
    can usually tell difference between letters and numbers when she sees a whole bunch of one or another but if mixed up -no
    was just starting to learn to potty, trained at 3.75 yrs
    could make vertical and horizontal lines with marker
    tries to make circle at times
    can usually get most shapes correct
    does know most colors, some not yet like grey, silver, gets orange and yellow mixed up, gets green and yellow mixed up
    can sit long enough for me to read a book to you! used to just turn pages wildly
    knows some animals
    can pretend to take care of baby doll. feed, immatate cring baby
    can take turns on a swing with one other child with LOTS of adult supervision
    can NOT understand any basic game like shoots and ladders or candy land-just flings t
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• not all children are sponges
    mine is not a sponge
    she is four, can not sing ABC's, in fact hates when anyone sings it

here is how mine "compares"
    *can tell someone when asked that she is 4 (about 50% of time, other times dsays 5, 11, whatever number comes to her)
    *knows the letter X about 50 % of time
    *Knows ZERO letter sounds
    *LOL no where near any of this..... write letter-writes her name=but learned to say her name at 3.5 yrs
    *can give you the beginning letter of a word= HAHA not even in my wildest dreams
    *Can spell her name, her brothers name and mommy and daddy.--LOL no, mine can not do this

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• My DS is 7 and still can't write his name correctly. In fact when I hang pictures on the fridge my DH has to ask me which child drew it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2011

• My kids did that too. Normal to above. But it really means nothing. My son who did all that, and more. Actually wrote out all his valentines when he was 3, is a terrible student now at 16. He is ADHD and barely passes. Good luck, I hope it keeps up!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2011