Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters) do i do it?

i just turned 18 and my immature husband cheated on me and lied to everyone about being married and having a he obviously dosent care about us and when i found out about his girlfriend he told he he wants a divorce and im not sure how to do thisbut i need to because from what i understand i cant get help (food stamps, finatial aid for college, ect.) while im married and right now i need a little government assitance while i get on my feet but heres the thing...we got married in texas but im living with my dad in arizona right now. do i need to go all the way to texas to get a lawyer or can i get finatial aid here in arizona i dont know anything about this any advice or help will be very much apperciated

Answer Question

Asked by akashaismyworld at 4:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You need to check the state statutes in your state. You can probably get a no fault divorce which basically means you both agree to the divorce. It doesnt sound like you have property to divide which makes it simple. Get a consult with a lawyer sometimes they are free and see if you can start the process. BTW you dont need anything to prove youre seperated to get help. In fact you just go and apply & theyll also go after him for child support. You do need to get something in writing from him saying he is allowing you to have custody so once they do go after him for child supp he doesnt try anything stupid.

    Answer by gemgem at 4:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • Call Social Services and ask. They'll be able to advise you about what to do.

    Answer by Bmat at 4:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • Call 211- Read - ask for legal aid #'s.

    Answer by nov30mom at 4:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • call any divorce lawer and ask thoes questions and tell him your situation. they will guide you in the right direction, i do belive you need to get the divorce in the state you were married in.

    Answer by Thalie at 4:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • Was the child born and raised in Texas? How long have you been in Arizona? If it hasn't been long enough to establish residency(six months in most states), get your butt back to Texas *immediately* and file for emergency custody. Or get a lawyer this instant who can file the paperwork for you long distance. Then either get dad's permission(in writing) to move the child to Arizona or petition the courts to allow the move. If you don't and dad wants to be a jerk, he can get you for parental kidnapping and you could potentially lose custody. Will he do it? From the sounds of it probably not, but cya anyway.

    Answer by desert_diva at 4:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • If the child was born and raised in Texas then that state has jurisdiction and all the paperwork will have to be filed through them - unless you can get a really good lawyer who can prove that a change of jurisdiction is in the child's best interest. Which will also mean any time there is a custody issue you'll have to travel back to Texas to handle it.

    Answer by desert_diva at 4:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • You can apply for help now that you are not living with your husband. You do need to check the state statutes though to see how long you have to live in the state you are in to file or if you have to file in the state where you lived with hubby. Tell him to file or better yet tell his gf to make him file. That should get it done. If she does you that favor then you don't have to do anything except tell him how much money you want in child support. If he doesn't agree to give you something reasonable then you can probably go through the govt's child support court and get what the state says you are allowed to get from him. When I say reasonable I don't mean cut him any slack either. It takes a lot of money to rear a child. Find out what formula the state uses and use it for yourself. See if then link to Know the Laws and then go to your state of residence. See if that gives you any information that helps.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

  • call social services or go to your local county court house, either will be able to tell you what you need to do

    Answer by bi-polarmommy at 6:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.