What's the wireless card for Wii?

We have a wii, and I got a laptop for Christmas so I want to get a wireless router. Well, I have no idea what I am looking for when it comes to Wii.

lizzeh

Asked by lizzeh at 5:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Just for Fun

• We have laptops all on a wireless network in our house, and we got a Wii for Christmas that we have set up on the same wireless network.

It's not a special card or anything like that for the Wii specifically. What you need is a wireless router (we have Linksys, but that's just our preference). It's a standard wireless router for your internet and everything. You get a router, build your wireless system (it's not hard, and the router will come with reasonably easy to follow directions), you want to make sure your system is secure - so only you and your stuff can access it (people can "piggyback" on it otherwise and steal your stuff, download kiddie porn, etc, and you would be responsible otherwise).

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Once you build (and secure) your system, then you can enter your wpa or wep key (what it's called / which they use depends on what router you use) into your Wii.

Once you enter that into your Wii, then it's part of your wireless network and it can access the internet, too, as long as it's in range of your wireless router. (wireless routers are going to have this little antenna on it sort of like a baby monitor, and, like baby monitors, can come in various "ranges", the box should say if they cover a large house, medium house, or small house / apartment.)
    sailorwifenmom

• But, basically, any wireless router that is good enough quality that you can run your laptop off of it and build a wireless network that way is going to work with your Wii.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Oh cool. I wasn't sure because we just bought a router, but haven't set it up. My brother is going to stop by and help me cause otherwise I'd be lost and screaming at the stupid thing.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 6:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Not a problem - have fun with both the laptop and the Wii :-)

I can set up a basic network, but I do end up yelling at the stupid boxes lol - thankfully, this is something my dh is really good at. lol - just be warned, if your brother is like my dh, he'll end up yelling at it a couple of times himself ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Lmao. Probably. He actually goes to school for this crap. I can type and download viruses.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 6:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2008