Baking a cake....what would happen if...?

A cake mix calls for three eggs, water and vegetable oil....what would happen if you didn't use eggs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Food & Drink

• the cake wont work out..
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I can cook great but baking is my mil's thing :) She says it's all chemistry so I would think removing one thing could make a big difference. I found this site if it helps ya: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/eggsub.html
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 5:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• But I'm curious as to why. What is the purpose of the eggs?
    Anonymous

• My guess is to make it stick, (the cake part) and the vegetable oil is for the cake not to stick to the pan and the water is to make it liquidy that is my guess...

The egg part you know like some people put egg in their ground beef when making burgers so it won't break apart egg helps it stick together.

So if I were you don't bake the cake if you don't have eggs :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• it will not rise
    babe0325

Answer by babe0325 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• The eggs add protein to the batter which does several things.
    It causes the cake to stick together and creates the body of the crumb texture. The water creates the little air pockets and the oil moistens the texture.
    If you are to leave out the eggs, my guess is you will come up with something like a wet crumble.
    Think about a brownie mix, if you add two eggs you get rich, dense brownies. If you add three, the fluff higher and become more cakelike. Same principle.
    However, there are many recipes you can make with cake mix besides cake. a fruit crumble being one. Check out bettycrocker. com.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Not sure, you'd have to substitute something if you were still going to use the eggs and water, but I DO know that if you add a 12 oz diet soda to cake mix and add nothing else. (no eggs, no oil, no nothing) mix it up and bake it. You get a darned good, moist cake with 1/2 the calories and you can barely tell that anything is missing !
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Without the eggs, you won't have a traditional cake. Eggs provide lift, structure, tenderness, moisture and more. Fewer eggs, and you'd have a denser texture, like a brownie. No eggs, and you'd have no lift, no height just very dense mass.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 10:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• instead of vegetable oil you should use an equal amount of applesauce. Much healthier and tastes great!!!! Yum! I did that for DD's first bday cake--no sugar, eggs, dairy, or oil. Was an extremely delicious, extremely healthy cake :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• you can either sub the eggs or the oil for applesauce. i use about a half a cup for each egg. when cooking vegan or for an egg allergy its a great idea AND NO it wont mess up your cake. ive done it plenty of times, mainly because i rarely have eggs and my kids love applesauce
    learae

Answer by learae at 10:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008