How to increase milk supply?

Okay so sorry I'm asking so many questions but there's so many that I've asked other people who've sort of ummed and arred but not answered properly. So how would I do this? Because I really want to breastfeed but is it possible, or would formula be best for 3? Please help, thanks.

tripletmomtobe

Asked by tripletmomtobe at 5:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Formula is NEVER best. You CAN breastfeed. My sister nursed triplets. God will make enough milk for you. Just nurse on demand. Google "nursing triplets" or something to that effect. Your hospital will most likely have a Lactation Consultant there to help out. Also, get into contact with a LLL leader in your area NOW. This will be tough but you CAN do this. Don't secumb to the bottle.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I agree. The more you nurse, the more you will make. Your supply will adjust to the demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Of course you can breastfeed. If you will have enough milk. That though, you will figure out after the babies are born. There is nothing you can do about it. You either have enough milk, or you dont. (So you should buy lots of formula and bottles (just in case).

It will probably be hard the first couple weeks for you to figure out the schedule of when the babies want to drink. It also depends (a little) on when your babies will be born (months of pregnancy). If they are premies (which is common with triplets) then its possible that you wont get a chance of breastfeeding. BUT, if you have enough milk make sure you tell every nurse and doctor that you will pump the milk for your babies and dont want them to give them formula.

Congratulations btw and good luck!!!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Yeah i forgot to add that. Was so confused with all the babies in your belly.. triplets, thats just amazing. haha

the more you pump and the more you breastfeed, the more milk you will get... doesnt always work though. i, for instance, didnt have enough milk. Nothing worked for me. had to feed my little girl half breastmilk half formula
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Okay, JMO, I would NOT buy formula, that will make you feel like its okay and in a moment of weakness, you might give them some. Also, saying you never "get the chance" to BF is a LIE. My daughter was two months early and alothough she couldn't nurse, for a month or so, I still pumped and then breastfed her when she was strong enough. So as long as you are presistant and don't give up, you can. If you want to breastfeed, you can. If not, don't make a lame excuse like so many others do. but I promise, start looking for support now and you can't go wrong. Best of luck honey!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Please drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group...lots of help there including some moms of multiples. AND there's a sticky post with every single trick known to woman for increasing supply.

Just search Groups for "Breastfeeding Moms" and you'll find us.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I combo fed my son for a while because I was induced and my milk didn't come in for a week. I would follow your instincts on what to do but know that you CAN work your supply up. Get a decent manual pump (I use the Avent Isis now) and EVERYTIME you bottle feed, attempt to nurse first, then pump after the feeding. The more you pump, the more you will supply. Also contact your local LLLI support group!! One of my friends is a leader for her area and I know for a fact that they offer great support. (Although I don't think the "condone" formula supplement, hehe- I followed my gut. My baby was hungry and I fed him. I later came to the conclusion that the induction was to blame. You never know what of your situation isn't "ideal" or natural... Feed your kids! But know that you can work your supply up as much as need be)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 6:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Also, DON'T beat yourself up about it... I think that was the best thing I learned about nursing. It's not as easy at people tell you. It BECOMES that easy after practice. I thought my kids would just latch on and all would be great. Even with my second son I had to work at it a bit... The key is to just keep trying and realize that it is a learning curve... neither (or in your case none) of you have done it before :) I think as moms we have such hormones flowing after childbirth, it is easy to get down... Just hang in there and look for support when you need it :) Also I think bfing with as many as you have on the way is best, less mess to clean!! :-D

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 6:38 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• breast feeding is the best, always. but if your milk flow can't keep up then supplements might help. but just remember that it's a demand and supply kind of thing. your body will produce as much as the babies demand.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• pump it more often or for longer periods i guess.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2008