HOW CAN I GET MY SON TO SLEEP ALL NIGHT?

MY SON IS 5MONTHS NOW AND HE WAKES UP AT LEAST 5 TIMES A NIGHT FOR A BOTTLE YES IVE TRIED CEREAL B4 BED TIME DONT WORK EVEN BEDTIME LOTION SO PLEZ HELP!!!

ShYmAmA08

Asked by ShYmAmA08 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little girl did the exact same thing...I started a routine with her and would actually give her the 1st baby foods (like bananas and such) followed by a warm soothing bath and gave her a bottle to top her off. Doing all of this was the only thing that would help us both get any sleep. Good luck momma!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 7:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I could have told you that the cereal before bed doesn't work. Lots of moms still believe this old wives tale though.

He doesn't need the overnight milk. If you don't want to let him cry-it-out (he is a little young IMO), then switch his bottles to water. If he's like my DD, all he really wants is something to suck on. When I switched my DD, she dropped to one night waking in just a couple of nights.
    Also, when you go in, do not talk to him or make eye contact. If you have to change his diaper, do it in the dark or with a very dim light. Bright lights and interacting with you will reward him for waking - encouraging him to wake up the next night too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• try massaging him at night after his bath, wash him in lavendar and chamomile and then use the lotion, the whole time you are bathing and massaging have the lights turned low and music turned on, feed him his bottle with cereal, burp him and rock him almost halfway to sleep, its important that he learns to fall asleep on his own
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Have you tried one of those night lights with the ceiling projectors? They play little clips of butterflies etc on the ceiling and different types of soothing sounds. It's the ONLY thing that worked for my oldest.
    cgirlcinch

Answer by cgirlcinch at 9:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Some babies just don't sleep and need extra feedings. Get someone to help everynow and then to give you rest and a break. My son didn't sleep through the night until he was over a year old. I stopped his bottle at 8 months during the night. I would give him some room temp water and he eventually went back to sleep. Just keep in mind that SOMEDAY they have to sleep...lol
    ajjc775

Answer by ajjc775 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• "At the age of 15 months a baby that was not born premature wakes up in the middle of the night mostly due to routine" quoting my pediatrician, but my son still wakes up at 30months for something to drink. Some babies just like a drink in the middle of the night is what he tells me now.Good luck, if you do find something that works well could you PLEASE let me know I would appreciate it so much!!! God bless.
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• All babies are different. He will sleep through the nigh when he is ready. I have 2 boys. Both did not sleep through the night till they were 8 months to a year. I tried the cereal thing to but it didn't work either. It had them up more. They say it is not good to give a baby cereal before they are 6 or 7 months. They state that there little stomachs can not handle that yet. According to my pediatrician who was also my friend. Might try some soothing music like lullabies. It works great for my boys. Also a nice warm bath before bed always calms them down. Hope that helps.
    Loviepoohbear

Answer by Loviepoohbear at 12:55 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• thanks guys i have him on routine i do all ur suggestions i rub him with bedtime lotion i give him a warm bath b4 bed and sing to him and all that he isd on routin e he goes to bed every night at 8pm and always wakes up at 6am just he wakes up at 5 times a night wanting a bottle hes bigger than the average baby he gets hungrier than mostbut i figuered hed grow out of this by now but like u guys say maybe hes one of those that will sleep all night around 8-1 yr old...thanks so much guys
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2008