Does anyone know what would cause your hair to fall out by the hand full each time I was my hair and what I can do to stop it

<

y

My hair has been falling out a little here and a little there. Nothing major. But it started in Oct and over night that everytime I washed my hair I was losing a hand full of hair. I have researched on causes that may cause this and tried to correct it. I have not seen any changes. Now I can only wash my hair once a week. Anymore than that I will be bald in

earthangel1960

Asked by earthangel1960 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Health

• When my hair was shorter i never had this problem. But now i have the same problem again. Always lose so much hair every time i wash it.. its always the same when i let my hair grow again.

I asked my doctor about it (since we have major cancer cases in our family). they took some blood, urine and did all kinds of other tests. but it just natural to lose hair is what they told me. So im totally healthy and losing hair. Oh well, i have enough of it.

so if its really bad, just get checked by your doctor. But from my experience i would say its normal.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Thyroid problems can cause hair loss.....go get some blood work done ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Try switching to a very mild or all natural shampoo/conditioner. Sometimes an allergy to a certain ingredient will cause hair loss. (Even if you haven't changed shampoos...the manufacturer may have altered the formula slightly or you may have developed an allergy). It seems like someone told me a vitamin deficiency can cause hair loss too...are you taking your vitamins? Other than that, see a doctor and make sure nothing else is wrong.

Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Hormones and the type of Birth Control you are using can be a factor.
    My hair fell out when i started using the 5 year IUD ( i don't know if can i
    can call it by name here)
    natureworkmom

Answer by natureworkmom at 6:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• have you tried taking vitamins? maybe you have a defency somewhere?
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• How much are you losing and has it just been since October? Did something major happen within the past 12 months like a major sickness, birth or death? I ask because my husband had the same problem 6 months after he got really sick. He got sent to a specialist who explained that after something major like that it is normal to lose your hair in large batches for the next year. It was called telogen something another.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I went to Brazil in 05 and 06 and while I was there I was not getting the nutrients I needed and was used to, not only did I lose weight but when I came back to the states my hair started falling out, and I looked... not well...it turned out I just was needing to get on some strong vitamins and eat good and within three months or so everything was back to normal. Then I went to Brazil again, but this time took a load of vitamins with me. I would get on some vitamins if you haven't already and eat better, if you are not, and get plenty of rest.

love4thelost

Answer by love4thelost at 9:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• sounds like maybe low on B-12? Stress, thyroid problems can also cause this...call your dr, and have some blood work done...
    kids_r_gr8

Answer by kids_r_gr8 at 1:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2010