do you tell your children anything and everything??

even things they arent suppose to know, or do you just tell them things you rather not have them spreading?

i try to tell them everything...im not here to protect anyone.

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i answer all my kids questions with age approiate answers, no matter what the topic is
    my ex-bil is in prison because "he is a bad person who likes to hurt other people", mommy sometimes goes to the hospital because she is "sick, and needs to get better"
    just answer as honestly as possible with age in mind and you will never have a communication problem with your kids, jmo
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 6:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• What type of things are you talking about? I keep a good bit of info from my kids? Why b/c they are kids and cant process and understand a lot of info. For intance....my inlaws are complete wack jobs......nuts even....but I dont tell my kids b/c they love their grandparents and when they are old enough to understand they are strange....they will know it already.....and it will be THEIR opinion....not mine.

I am not here to protect anyone but my children.
    Anonymous

• What kinds of things are you referring to? Kids have a difficult time understanding things such as, "we have no money", we use that rather loosely, they may believe you are going to let them go hungry and starve... I would watch what I say simply to avoid fears or concerns.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I tell them no lies, or as few as I can:) I think that there are adult topics and children's topics. If it is appropraite I tell him and if it is something that isn't age appropriate then I don't.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• well i guess i meant anything secretive like an inlaw going to jail or this inlaw did this or that, you know, things that maybe the inlaws dont want the kids to know but its basically what the first anon was talking about .
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• NO I dont tell my kids everything because there are some things kids dont need to worry themselves about. I am all for kids being kids and not having to deal with adult issues until they are old enough to understand. My kids dont know how much we make, about tax returns, about uncle bob being a drunk or whatever. It isnt their concern or business and as a parent its my job to keep them from having to know about things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 6:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• If they are old enough to ask about it, then they are old enough for an honest answer. Mind you, it can still be an age appropriate one.

For example, my talks about sex are more in depth with my kids now that they are teens than they were when they were in elem. school, and that was more detailed than when, for example, my dd was toddler / preschool age and wanted to know "how babies got in the Mommie's tummies".

I answered her honestly, but didn't go into as much details as I do now that she's in hs and we talk about sex.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2008