Am i just being a brat?

ok, My brother and sister and their spouse used to be me and husbands really good friends we would hang out all the time. Then one day they just stopped calling, returning our phone calls, and coming over. At first they said it was because we drank all the time ( we did not like maybe a friday night if we where in the mood), then it was because they where busy, then it was because we owed them money (we would go out and we would alternate who payed so not really sure where that came from). So in the end we just stopped even trying but we where still descent during the holidays.

saysha100687

Asked by saysha100687 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• Well now all of a sudden they want to be best buds again, and i am totally not down for it. Family or not if they where only friends i would have said F*&k off, but my husband wants to hang out with them again and i told him go ahead but i am staying home. I dont like people like that. What do you ladies think? Am i just being a B*%$h, or should i suck it up.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• They are your family and from time to time will do things that hurt or anger you but in the end they are the only ones you've got. I say suck it up and move on. If it happens again then it may be time to reevaluate the situation but for now let sleeping dogs lay.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Honestly I think you should suck it up... Two wrongs do not make a right. By being the better person, it may even strengthen your relationship with them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• yeah, i dont know... are you sure those arent the same idiots from my family?

we like to drink on weekends home or not, suddenly my hubby's bro married a woman who is in the process of trying to turn everyone on us calling us bad parents and drunks and whatever else comes out of that woman's mouth.
    so we arent the perfect parents and we dont parent the way she dont like us to parent, so that makes us bad and idiots and the most talked about people behind our backs.

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• continued...
    excuses are excuses but when you call people names or say they drink too much then you cant take that back. best way i deal with this is thinking out of the box or the oppisite direction, like next Thankgiving, i'm going to use an excuse not to go to where all them idiots live so i dont have to see them as much as i dont have to, i'm going to say we should have Thanksgiving at my house this next year so that my family who dont make Thankgiving will be able to have one at my house.

then we will see how much they miss us cause of thier name calling and see that they drove us away.
    americansugar80

• You can't choose your family but you CAN choose your friends. HOWEVER, once everyone becomes an ADULT, then all bets are off! IMO just because you're family doesn't mean you HAVE to put up with someone else's BS. If a family or members treat you disrespectfully, or you don't like what they say/how they say it, if they have bad habits/traits, and you're NOT dependent on them (financially, child care, etc.) and you wouldn't pick them as a friend, then I say cut the ties!

I have cut ties COMPLETELY from my family--they're a bunch of selfish, whiny, uneducated, close-minded, alcoholic, racists! Life is too short to HAVE to put up with such people. Honestly, what do such people bring to the table? Why should one have to "put up" with such family members...just because you share some DNA with them? As far as my family goes that's about all we have in common! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Thanks ladies you made me feel better i thought i was just being a brat because i dont want them as friends anymore. Like i told my husband what is there excuse next time maybe it will be "we stole something" who knows I am done.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I guess at first everything is fresh and new, too much of it can get old, Then when you don't do it anymore you miss it. Example: Pizza you can only eat so much for so long then you get burned out on it. I believe that is what happened to you. If you have kids now that could surely put a damper on it, it is not the same then you will be thinking about the kids so you won't enjoy yourself. Just go and have fun when you have the chance you can catch up on old times.
    Your not being a brat you are probably just hurt in your own way. Go have fun life is too short. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I think you need to look at the reasons they are giving you and take them seriously. Sounds like you may need to think about those things and take action if they are accurate. Since they are your family, I think they would have your best interest at heart.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• They may have realized that whatever was keeping them away wasn't as important as family. If possible you should swallow your hurt and insult and accept them again. Family is very important. Take their olive branch with a generous spirit and put the time of hurt and insult behind you.

Answer by Bmat at 9:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2008