how do i start potty training my 22 month old daughter?

briannasmommy67

Asked by briannasmommy67 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Buy her a little potty chair and introduce her to it. Explain what it is for and let her practice sitting on it. Let her explore it and get used to it. When she is comfortable, you can start taking her to sit on it at regular intervals. When she finally "goes" in it, make a BIG deal out of it. With my girls, it was a process that took about 9 months to completely train them for the daytime. Good luck!!
    bailey0919

Answer by bailey0919 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My daughter is sooo stubborn, and acts like the potty embarrasses her, since she hasn't realized what it's for.....HOWEVER now at 3 1/2 I have put my foot down with being more persistent. We have to get her up first thing in the morning. BUT let them sit there a while, like while you take a shower or while you're putting on makeup. Just make sure they have their own chair and not one that goes on top of a regular potty, I've been doing my homework on this lol. If it's their own potty, it's their own thing......it has been working so far! We give her little flash cards if she goes.....seems to do well!
    cgirlcinch

Answer by cgirlcinch at 9:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• PUT A POTTY CHAIR IN THE BATH ROOM AFTER BREAKFAST EVERY DAY INTERDUCE IT
    AS SOMETHING SHE DOES. DONT MAKE IT LIKE YOU ARE TRAINING HER AS YOU WOULD A ANIMAL JUST SAY TIME TO GO PEE AND WHEN SHE GO'S GET EXCITED CHILDREN LIKE THAT.
    Anonymous

• Get a bag of M&M's or some stickers and every time you put her on the potty (and she is sucessful) give her an m&m or let her put a sticker on a posterboard (that you hang near the potty and decorate) and be OVERLY EXCITED and OVER EXAGGERATED when she does make a pee pee or poo poo. Also there are a TON of books about potty training for you to read for her. ( I read It's Potty Time to my little boy, they have books for boys and books for girls)
    ajjc775

Answer by ajjc775 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2008