How do you go about weening your child from the boob?

naiomi

Asked by naiomi at 7:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would give BM in a bottle to get him used to the bottle, then start mixing in more and more formula.

Anon why pressure someone to keep BF when you don't even know why she wants to wean?

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Why do you want to wean a 5 month old?
    Anonymous

• You wait until baby (a) is at least a year old or (b) is ready to wean (which does not occur naturally until 2 yrs of age).

Anonymous

• Well, I'm in the process of weaning my daughter off the booby. She's almost 13 months old now. I started at 11 months slowly, but I would still breastfeed about 3-5 times a day. The day after she turned a year old, I gave her organic whole milk and she took to that just fine... So, now I nurse her about once or twice a day, usually to nap or go to sleep for the night. Weaning is definitely a gradual thing...also, it depends how much breastmilk you're producing. I believe I'm producing much less, I used to be a fountain, but I'm pregnant again and wanted to wean her so I can have a few months break before I have to start the whole nursing process again. Good luck. If your baby wants booby, I would give it to him or her, especially if your baby is under a year old.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Drop one feeding per week until done. Any faster can cause plugged ducts, pain, infection. If the child is under 12 mos, REPLACE one feeding per week with formula until done.

However, I strongly encourage all to nurse until their child decides to wean. I do understand this is not always possible, which is where my advice comes in.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2008